Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 589101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 6.5 speculation

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    makes “dudes” feel less comfortable and assured in their role as The Only Audience
    This is a positive quality for a writer to have.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanaya View Post
    This is a positive quality for a writer to have.
    Exactly, which is why it’s unfair that it’s a reason she gets bashed. Pandering only ever makes a story worse—the only time that “for (You)” stuff was any good was Corday’s subplot in LB5, because she was basically just Tomoe from KnK 5

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kirishima's Avatar
    I think my thing with Sakurai is that she's pretty predictable and repetitive. Her ideas aren't bad, but her execution at least in FGO leaves to be desired sometimes. She obviously can write great characters and stories, but sometimes falls into her repetitive predictable quirks, which isn't enough to make me think "this is garbo" but mostly "wow, this sure is Sakurai" and an eyeroll and sometimes annoyance.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The way Sakurai writes villain logistics is something that in theory I should love, but more often she overdoes it to the detriment of the story.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Her plotting is extremely weak, predictable and uninteresting.

Her character writing is actually pretty good.

Her prose is also (as much as she gets shit for it) not bad.

Perfect writer for doing side-stuff, terrible writer for doing main chapters.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    I am definitely not a fan of her character writing when she can't ground the character in history or myth.
    E.g. all the Masters in fragments
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    I think the master's in fragment are great but are ruined by the fact that she lets Manaka curbstomp them 3 pages after we start to see their development which is a similar issue I had with apocrypha admittedly so it's not just her

- - - Updated - - -

Sakurai's prose, I do unironically like. I think her and Nasu are the best at eliciting emotions from me when I'm reading their way of describing things (Narita does too, but he's not a main writer), but I think she would benefit from dropping the odd hypeman thing where some characters will sit you down and spend 5 minutes talking about how powerful a certain character is. Which usually occurs minutes before or after she uses 3 sentences to convey their strength to much better effect so I'm left wondering why she does that

Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    I think she would benefit from dropping the odd hypeman thing where some characters will sit you down and spend 5 minutes talking about how powerful a certain character is. Which usually occurs minutes before or after she uses 3 sentences to convey their strength to much better effect so I'm left wondering why she does that
    Just me guessing but it may be some influence left on her from when she does script writing for animes, since in those more often than not you have to relay on characters monologues rather than narration for (hype) exposition

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    My favorite headcanon for this one is that Sakurai as a person having normal conversation is exactly as fond of compliments as Sakurai as a writer.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Gehennahem's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssgth View Post
    Exactly, which is why it’s unfair that it’s a reason she gets bashed. Pandering only ever makes a story worse—the only time that “for (You)” stuff was any good was Corday’s subplot in LB5, because she was basically just Tomoe from KnK 5
    I don't really have a problem with "character pandering" or "a character pandering for the protagonist" as long as it makes sense for the character to do and it doesn't just come up from nowhere. I know others do but as we rarely if ever bring out Chaldeas Servants into the LB or anything like that, we have to get it from somewhere and my actual issue is that if it feels like Servants bond to you too fast(Like Charlotte makes sense, character wise, that she would bond to you like that extremely quickly... but then you get to some of the others and it can kinda become weird)

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle sentence's Avatar
    It is good when it's actually written as a story.
    Such as Oberon's whole journey with Master.

Sadly it's "you're nice man, then I like you" for most Servants.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Nanaya's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehennahem View Post
    we have to get it from somewhere
    We really don't.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    The problem with stories about Servants falling in love with Fujimaru is that the concept peaked early with Moriarty and nothing after ever came close to compare.

祖 Ancestor
    Blog Entries
    I think this thread has been devolve into arguing about the nature of FGO writers in which in my humble opinion should be in the FGO Story and Lore thread

Blog Entries
    Servants falling in love with MC is just base pandering as stories can work even if it is close comradeship.

Besides, self-insert MC won't be able to bring out the charm of love interests in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by rxrx View Post
    Servants falling in love with MC is just base pandering as stories can work even if it is close comradeship.

Besides, self-insert MC won't be able to bring out the charm of love interests in my opinion.
    I think for characters like Moriarty whose whole thing is being an evil genius him growing soft for a normal person who just seems to want to honestly do good works (though that's one is friendship), but with the intensity of a bunch of these arcs it can end up feeling shallow at times.

Okita Alter's first appearance remains the worst attempt in this game in my eyes though, because there wasn't even a relationship.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    The problem with stories about Servants falling in love with Fujimaru is that the concept peaked early with Moriarty and nothing after ever came close to compare.
    Lol

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle
    Lol
    He’s right. CBC 2019 was peak content as a result

Blog Entries
    I think for characters like Moriarty whose whole thing is being an evil genius him growing soft for a normal person who just seems to want to honestly do good works (though that's one is friendship), but with the intensity of a bunch of these arcs it can end up feeling shallow at times.

Okita Alter's first appearance remains the worst attempt in this game in my eyes though, because there wasn't even a relationship.
    Agreed. Dantes's was also done pretty well imo since it is nicely set up that he wants to be like Abbé Faria, helping an innocent man accused of crimes to break out.

Okita Alter was just badly done.

For the girls I think Corday's thing kind of mostly works since her feelings are not really about Guda themself but what being useful to Guda makes her feel, but it's got a bit too much overlap with Mandricardo in Atlantis whose relationship with Guda is one of the surprisingly more involved ones for both parties so I ended up mostly wondering why one was unflinchingly romantic while the other was unflinchingly best friendship more so than anything else lol.

I'm a bit harder on girls with this kind of arc admittedly which is why I'm struggling to find one I'm wholly satisfied with. I'm waiting till it's out in NA to sit down and read LB6 properly so maybe Castoria will scratch that itch for me

- - - Updated - - -

Of course Traum is in less than a week, so maybe Higashide will drop in a new waifu to dazzle me into submission (bringing the thread back to the it's actual purpose). Though if the two girls are Kriem and Kundry they'd both technically be out of the running

Of course Traum is in less than a week, so maybe Higashide will drop in a new waifu to dazzle me into submission (bringing the thread back to the it's actual purpose). Though if the two girls are Kriem and Kundry they'd both technically be out of the running
    Doesn't matter if Charles truly comes out on this chapter, on Link he already tricked Nero into letting him have a date with Hakuno and that one ending with the CG of both of them sitting under the moonlight felt so romantic ngl.
    Inb4 Kiyohime is in Traum because Guda's about to pull an Anchin with Charles on her LOL