Page 7549 of 7876 FirstFirst ... 654970497449749975397544754775487549755075517554755975997649 ... LastLast
Results 150,961 to 150,980 of 157513

Thread: Questions, questions and more questions (READ THE OP FOR ANSWERS)

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SirGauoftheSquareTable View Post
    Actually, now that we're sort of on this topic, what exactly is ruby text? I can contextually infer what it is, but I'm not 100% clear.
    Japanese reading aid. I'm actually not sure where the appellation comes from, but what we call "ruby" is what is in Japanese called Furigana.

Furigana is ostensibly used as a way of showing the reading of a certain combination of characters (in the form of the reading, i.e. the pronunciation being shown above the word), because the writer suspects that the reader could have trouble reading them otherwise. Or perhaps they are trying to insist on one reading over the other. These days, you see it fairly commonly used in manga aimed at a younger audience, who have yet to learn all the Kanji required to otherwise read that manga.

Yet this feature of furigana is not particularly important in something adult-oriented like Tsukihime. Indeed, for a lot of works like this, it has become a fad to use Furigana to sort of show-off a non-intended reading of a word. An example would be using 暗黒 (lit, darkness) with the furigana ダークネス (Japanese transliteration of the English word "darkness") instead of the usual reading of that word as あんこく. You can extend this to just show any kind of double-meaning to any word, to the point where the original purpose of furigana becomes quite muddled.

This is indeed where we end up when we read things in Nasu-land. This is why the word 代行者 (lit, agent) is translated as Executor, because the furigana for the word is consistently listed as エクスキューター (Japanese transliteration of the English word "executor"). Sometimes he goes even more overboard, and replaces whole sentences worth of words with some furigana. Of course, this is a technique not only Nasu employs, but is rather common among genre writers in Japan. Though I will say, Nasu may be one of the most rampant abusers of Furigana around.

死徒(下級)Lesser Dead Apostle Nanashi(kari)'s Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by TomPen94 View Post
    When were Reality Marbles ever referred to in english? At least in speech I never heard anyone actually say those sylables, that I recall.
    I mean, most of the time the VAs vocalize the japanese term rather than the engl(r)ish ruby. The only case I can remember it isn't so is when saying the name of NPs.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate. Much like Daybit, I am simply correct, and that is the end of the discussion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gosserbam View Post
    I am not a shitposter at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrikow View Post
    Impressive argument.

Mine, however, is superior: you are dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by chevkraken View Post
    And you want to be taken seriously?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubergeneral View Post
    The planet is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirishima View Post
    GOT DICK? ANY PENIS? COCK DONATIONS?

Knight of Joestar SirGauoftheSquareTable's Avatar
    Japanese reading aid. I'm actually not sure where the appellation comes from, but what we call "ruby" is what is in Japanese called Furigana.

Furigana is ostensibly used as a way of showing the reading of a certain combination of characters (in the form of the reading, i.e. the pronunciation being shown above the word), because the writer suspects that the reader could have trouble reading them otherwise. Or perhaps they are trying to insist on one reading over the other. These days, you see it fairly commonly used in manga aimed at a younger audience, who have yet to learn all the Kanji required to otherwise read that manga.

Yet this feature of furigana is not particularly important in something adult-oriented like Tsukihime. Indeed, for a lot of works like this, it has become a fad to use Furigana to sort of show-off a non-intended reading of a word. An example would be using 暗黒 (lit, darkness) with the furigana ダークネス (Japanese transliteration of the English word "darkness") instead of the usual reading of that word as あんこく. You can extend this to just show any kind of double-meaning to any word, to the point where the original purpose of furigana becomes quite muddled.

This is indeed where we end up when we read things in Nasu-land. This is why the word 代行者 (lit, agent) is translated as Executor, because the furigana for the word is consistently listed as エクスキューター (Japanese transliteration of the English word "executor"). Sometimes he goes even more overboard, and replaces whole sentences worth of words with some furigana. Of course, this is a technique not only Nasu employs, but is rather common among genre writers in Japan. Though I will say, Nasu may be one of the most rampant abusers of Furigana around.
    Ah, I was aware of furigana, but I didn't see realize ruby = furigana. Thanks for the answer, Petrikow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathhappens View Post
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    Quote Originally Posted by forumghost View Post
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Though I will say, Nasu may be one of the most rampant abusers of Furigana around.
    In terms of story perhaps, but if we're including all Japanese media as a whole then Yugioh is the absolute king of abusing ruby text, practically every card has it these days and sometimes to ridiculous extents.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

Quick refresher, but how does Touko avoid soul degradation whenever she jumps from one puppet body to the next? Is it because all of them are such perfect copies of her that the World is tricked into thinking it's the same body?
    Really, all 3 of the romances in F/SN are 'for want of a nail' kind of situations.
    You mean because Shirou winds up falling for the first of the three that he Nailed?
    I speak for the majority of important people* *a category comprised entirely of myself

JP Friend Code
    By request
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually not sure where the appellation comes from, but what we call "ruby" is what is in Japanese called Furigana.
    In typography units, the smallest size of letter is called either an agate or a ruby. The size was judged to be perfect for writing furigana, so the term ruby stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by celsius View Post
    If Saber and Shirou got married... Would that make Shirou the Queen of Britain?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriulio View Post
    In typography units, the smallest size of letter is called either an agate or a ruby. The size was judged to be perfect for writing furigana, so the term ruby stuck.
    Thank you for clarifying.

Projection uses your mental image to completely reproduce the genuine object. There is no exception to this.You can't project it if it's not perfect inside of you. As it is a shadow of the true object, the projection magic requires that there be no mistake."

"Sobasically, the projected object has the strength as you imagine it. An illusion is perfect in this regard.
    Going back over some stuff on projection magecraft the line of "You can't project it if it isn't complete/perfect inside you." reminds me a bit of how Araya's an expert on Boundaries because he's completed himself. I wonder if there's a similar sort of philosophy to be explored here?

Blog Entries
    You mean platonism, one of the fundamental schools of thought of western philosophy? I'd wager Nasu would be more than happy to have a novel take on such a thing.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    You mean platonism, one of the fundamental schools of thought of western philosophy? I'd wager Nasu would be more than happy to have a novel take on such a thing.
    Yes, that one. Specifically Neoplatonism, which played an important part in early Christian discourse and shaped both Eastern and Western traditions for millenua to come. I suppose the MA's general quest to reach the Root is inherently platonic, since the Root is basically the One, the ultimate source of reality, which Christian neoplatonists viewed as God. I think what Dullahan might mean is that the Church and MA fundamentally disagree where humans sit on the Great Chain of Being and how a human might, if they can, reach the One.

- - - Updated - - -

I could be super wrong, though.

Blog Entries
    If we're gonna do armchair philosophy, one can argue the Nasuverse's broader reaches are platonist in and of themselves- the duality between the cold, monolithic, humanless aristotles and the dying, segmented Earth itself a representation of the ideal, planets as a singular living organism, and the earth as a disappointing, disjointed, imperfect reality.
    Call me 想φαγω.
    Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooncake View Post
    I get this vague feeling from your posts that you're looking down on people who don't share your view, which is what it is, but at least take a moment to snort some common sense between those hits of pretension.
    My opinion is better than your opinion, so it isn't up for debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun
    Telling us that you're rich is not going to make anyone stop laughing at you for believing in self-insert NTR.
    Quote Originally Posted by ResidentSeagull View Post
    You seriously underestimate the human potential for wanting to fuck stuff, my dude.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dullahan
    Welcome to BL, new user. Don't forget to fate/stay mad

Quote Originally Posted by Temflakes403 View Post
    To be more precise I mean in the sense of how it applies to various forms of magecraft. If that wasn't clear in the "This is why Araya is so good at boundaries" sense.

Not a general discussion on Platonism, or Platonic Forms and what not.

Pretty much all concepts in the Nasuverse follow a pretty clear Great Chain of Being and everything stems from an ideal form of some sort. Thus, it's kind of unavoidable to have that general discussion.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes he goes even more overboard, and replaces whole sentences worth of words with some furigana.
    To add onto this, sometimes the ruby text is used as an explanation. There are cases where he'll use
    mana
    magical energy
    or
    od
    magical energy
    to specify which source the magical energy is coming from.
    Quote Originally Posted by FSF 5, Chapter 14: Gold and Lions I
    Dumas flashed a fearless grin at Flat and Jack as he rattled off odd turns of phrase.
    "And most importantly, it's me who'll be doing the cooking."
    Though abandoned, forgotten, and scorned as out-of-date dolls, they continue to carry out their mission, unchanged from the time they were designed.
    Machines do not lose their worth when a newer model appears.
    Their worth (life) ends when humans can no longer bear that purity.

Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    To add onto this, sometimes the ruby text is used as an explanation. There are cases where he'll use
    mana
    magical energy
    or
    od
    magical energy
    to specify which source the magical energy is coming from.
    At least we aren't at the point where he has the furigana of furigana.

Od
    Magical Energy
    Prayer Power
    coming to a VN near you?!

Quick refresher, but how does Touko avoid soul degradation whenever she jumps from one puppet body to the next? Is it because all of them are such perfect copies of her that the World is tricked into thinking it's the same body?
    In SF Francesca muses about this shortly, saying it would be impossible for there not to be degradation and loss of self etc because that would mean Touko would've trespassed into the realm of the Third, but as far as we know there isn't any, so Narita's sort of throwing that out there as a "hmmmmm????"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjon01 View Post
    Ugh cokesakto no no no
    Quote Originally Posted by Neir View Post
    your ability to be wrong about literally everything you post is truly astounding. Even a broken clock is right twice a day, but you haven't been right once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kateikyo View Post
    The gay pics were the most entertaining thing going on in this discussion.

Blog Entries
    trespassing into the realm of the third like a boss
    かん
    ぎゅう
    じゅう
    とう

Expresses the exceeding size of one's library.
    Books are extremely many, loaded on an oxcart the ox will sweat.
    At home piled to the ridgepole of the house, from this meaning.
    Read out as 「Ushi ni ase shi, munagi ni mitsu.」
    Source: 柳宗元「其為書,處則充棟宇,出則汗牛馬。」— Tang Dynasty

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    If a farmer with a sword and enough disregard for bird life can trespass into the realm of the Second, I don’t see why not.

Yes basically.

The puppets are so close to the original that whenever Touko dies, the World just goes:

"Oh silly me, she hasn't died. The body and soul are just over there."

And the new puppet body just wakes up and picks up where she left off.

The difference between this and the Third is that, a transfer driven by the Third is mediated by the soul. A Touko transfer is mediated by the body.
    I imagine the soul just gets whiplashed into the puppet body as part of the World correcting what it perceived as an error.

Isn't that basically rayshift, but with the World acting as the one that confirms the existence of the pseudo-spiritrons?
    Last edited by Mementore; September 12th, 2021 at 09:32 AM.