Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456914 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files Translation, Starting From Book 6

Quote Originally Posted by All fictions View Post
    There's the map of Gray's village.

(Taken from the wiki, I forgot about it before but here it is)

Thanks everyone! Will you mention such pics in the future? I think that is pretty good stuff, don't know why every pics archive doesn't have it.

Chapter 1, Part 1

We collapsed in the narrow underground tunnel.

The spotted walls and ceilings that revealed the dirt of the tunnel looked as if they could collapse at any moment, making me feel very uneasy.

Though the quietude probably meant that this place had remained the same for the past couple of centuries, I could not help but get affected by its appearance.

“…So, we’re retreating first, are we,” my mentor said breathily, trying to stabilize his breathing. His gaze was directed at the person who had just joined us. A hazy knight in shining silver armor stood there.

The word “hazy” here referred to not only his expression. His entire figure was blurred, materializing in and out of existence. Even so, combined with his incredibly vivid and expressive demeanor, it was still generally possible to distinguish his feelings.

“Of course. I wasn’t good at this sort of street-fighting nonsense in the first place. The things I value most are these hands for holding pretty girls, and this tongue. It's already almost a miracle that I managed to mow down enough of those impatient bone soldiers to get you two to safety.”

I suppose he had to be emotionally resilient(?) to be able to say that with a straight face(?).

Though, we did receive his help, so I wasn’t sure how to respond to what he said.

When we were escaping from the bone soldiers, we had ran for our lives without bothering to consider anything to arrive at this place. It seemed that there were many other paths besides the path we went down initially. We were now hiding out in one of them.

“……”

I was still in a state of confusion. I never would have never thought that someone like a knight would spring out from Add even in my wildest dreams. It was simply not something I could have reasonably thought up of.

I still held the giant scythe in my hands.

Yet, I was still driven to the brink of collapse by terror.

My mentor glanced at me from a distance before he spoke.

“You introduced yourself as Sir Kay, didn’t you.”

“Huh. You even know to add the ‘Sir’.”

“Of course, Sir Kay. If you’re referring to the adoptive brother of King Arthur.”

Though it was something I had already realized, I still almost yelped in surprise.

The legend of King Arthur. The famous British tale of a holy sword and a round table. The original legend behind the story of knights, full of countless adventures and romance.

Hearing those words, the knight gave a tsk.

“Well, what a pity it must be that I’m the one who’s here. Though, when it comes to legends, it is inevitable that the reality’ll be a let-down. After all, aren’t the even stars in the night sky just lumps of rock anyway. Though some people probably think that it doesn’t matter as long as they shine, but I’m not interested in that sort of boring nonsense.”

He frowned displeasedly.

Every movement of his made me confused and agitated.

I knew these movements. Though I recognized them, they were not the same from what I remembered. Even so, some part of me was sure that though they were different, they came from the same place. The contradiction between what I felt and what I remembered made me feel uneasy.

“…Servants summoned by the Holy Grail will receive knowledge of the present from it, so Servants not summoned by the Holy Grail will be given knowledge of the present by the world.”

“Ha. You mages are always so full of garbage. What, will bookworms fall out of you like an old book if you get shaken too hard?”

“Possibly.”

Seeing my mentor’s somewhat serious nod, the knight shrugged even more unhappily.

“Though, that answer only gets thirty points. I’m not even a Servant, much less a Heroic Spirit. Because I didn’t come from that throne or whatever you call it, the world doesn’t give a crap about me. The stuff I brought up before all came from the knowledge of that stingy idiot of a sealing Mystic Code,” he corrected.

That last sentence had the most impact on me.

The words that had been stuck in my throat for the past while finally erupted forth in a yell.

“What happened to Add!”

I couldn’t even wait long enough to stand up, so I moved towards him while still hugging my knees.

“It’s not responding to my calls! Is it broken!”

It was probably the first time in my life that I had forced someone I had just met to answer a question like this. However, all of my fear had been shoved to the back of my head as I approached the knight in silver.

The knight extended his hand and knocked on the giant scythe with a thud.

“It’s not broken.”

As he said that, the knight— Kay shook his head.

It was impossible to explain just how relieving that answer was to me.

“Though, the functions have stopped working temporarily. After all, all the Magical Energy stored up in there was probably all used up to get me to materialize. Of course, the other reason why it managed to work was also because of the environment here.”

“It’s stopped functioning…”

I held onto the scythe tightly and swallowed. How long was this “temporarily”?

Was it a day? A month? Maybe a year? Or perhaps even longer than that?

However, it seemed that not even the knight knew the answer to this question. Though it was the question I wanted to know the answer to desperately, I forced myself not to, and tried to find a more meaningful question to ask. I had mountains of questions, so I had to choose a few useful ones out of them.

“Then, why would you get summoned from Add…”

“The mage over there’s already figured it out, right?” He tossed the subject over. My mentor did not reply immediately. After carefully considering his hypothesis, he spoke.

“You were the Personality Model for Add, yes? ‘Personality Model’, in this case, also includes specific physical and equipment conditions. After all, the personality of someone is not completely dependent on their Spirit. …Though, the reason why anything can materialize this way is puzzling,” my mentor said.

“Pretty much, yes.”

“Personality… Model…?”

“Basically, this [lance],” the knight said, pointing to my [scythe]. That meant that he knew the truth behind the lance, but I guess this was obvious since he had been summoned by Add.

The holy lance Rhongomyniad.

The lance once used by King Arthur, a Noble Phantasm on par with the holy sword Excalibur.

“Actually, I’m the Personality Model used for the Mystic Code meant to seal the lance, so I was sent here originally with the lance and that guy’s corpse,” continued the knight, somewhat irritatedly.

“And then, when they were sealing the lance, I was chosen as the related person with the most compatible personality. Hmph, it was just that I was different from those other knights(idiots) because I didn’t care about all that mystery nonsense. Only those idiots would try to break a seal just because it was there. That sort of guy should be shoved into the ground for as long as possible.”

I could only understand about half of the knight’s words.

He was probably discussing the king he once served.

King Arthur.

To him, that person was his adoptive little brother —Or, according to the legends of my hometown, little sister, though their relationship seemed to be quite complicated.

“I don’t know what ended up happening to that guy’s corpse. That Glastonbury place did say that the body’s there, perhaps there might even be something behind that. As they say, once something gets worshipped, meaning gets added to it. Since she was originally protected by the island itself anyway, there’s really no need to have just one burial place,” said the knight in a light yet solemn tone.

However, it made my heart feel heavy in my chest. Every word he spoke was like the toll of a knell from the distant past. Perhaps this was because I had come into contact with it before. The fragments of the knights, including Sir Kay, that I had heard when I undid the Seal of Thirteen.

“This is a battle for survival.” —Approved, Kay.

“……”

I took a deep breath.

My thoughts belonged to myself alone.

Even if I had heard his voice then, I could not impose that onto him. Even if I told him that I had been encouraged by his voice before, it was the person who stood in front of me now who I needed to face.

I carefully considered my thoughts and then raised my head to look at the knight.

Just then, my eyes met with those of the knight.

“Though, you really look quite like her.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind, pretend I didn’t say anything. Similar, but different. Yes, completely different.” He said to himself, nodding.

Was there a resemblance or not?

Of course I knew who the knight was referring to. After all, I had always been compared to that person.

“Um, do I look like—”

“—A person’s appearance is not simply determined by their face. Not a single other person will be like that guy, not even in a hundred years. Perhaps someone who bears some speck of resemblance might appear in a millennium.”

After he finished his sentence, the knight limbered up his shoulders. (?)

“Returning to the subject, you two just want to get out of this mess as soon as possible, don’t you? I’ll be with you until you do. After all, I was only summoned by that guy to do this. Though the working conditions are hardly ideal, it’s endurable, since it’s only for a while.”

“You say that we’re in a mess. Is that because you already know of our experiences?”

Hearing my mentor’s question, the knight responded huffily.

“Of course I know. You called it [the second cycle] or something, didn’t you.”

The second cycle.

Because of Zepia, we had been removed from our original timeline and placed here, six months ago. Though I still didn’t know if it was really the past, it was definitely similar.

That time in the past when I had just met my mentor.

“Did you also learn of this through Add?”

“Yes. It’s too complicated to explain in detail, but that box basically knows everything that kid sees and hears. That information is also shared with me.”

“I have one last question,” my mentor added.

“What exactly is this system of tunnels underground?”

“Sadly, I don’t know anything Add doesn’t know. I’ve never been brought here in my past life, either,” said the knight, shrugging exaggeratedly.

“Though, I suppose you could call it the true Blackmore Graveyard.”

His low, somber voice settled into the cold darkness of the crypt.
    -End of Part 1 of Chapter 1 of Book 7-
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————— ——

I must complain about how these characters do not ask questions with question marks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amakura_Akagi View Post
    Thanks everyone! Will you mention such pics in the future? I think that is pretty good stuff, don't know why every pics archive doesn't have it.
    I didn't know that that picture existed until just then either, so if anyone realizes that I've forgotten to put one in, please tell me!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait and also on that note does anyone know where I can find the images for books 8 and 9? I have a couple, but not all of them, and they have high-contrast filters pulled over them (I really don't know why).

Yay, managed to find the link to all volumes' illustration

Vol 1-2: ‪https://imgur.com/a/XZ1R9LW‬
    Vol 3-4: ‪https://imgur.com/a/MGue2tN‬
    Vol 5-6: ‪https://imgur.com/a/AbBtsTJ‬
    Vol 7-8: ‪https://imgur.com/a/D9Fz067‬
    Vol 9: ‪https://imgur.com/a/tzS3CTE‬
    ‪Vol 10: https://imgur.com/a/eZJtFTd‬

Quote Originally Posted by alienncoww View Post

Vol 5-6: ‪https://imgur.com/a/AbBtsTJ‬
    Vol 7-8: ‪https://imgur.com/a/D9Fz067‬
    Vol 9: ‪https://imgur.com/a/tzS3CTE‬
    ‪Vol 10: https://imgur.com/a/eZJtFTd‬
    Nice find, thank you.
    Again, no maps, charts etc, unfortunately. I really wonder why.

Oh, and thank you for the translation, azwhoisverybored!
    Last edited by Amakura_Akagi; December 25th, 2021 at 10:22 AM.

Mesopotamia's King Gilgamesh_maximaster's Avatar
    Mesopotamia's Throne(Viņa del mar, chile)
    I click the link ans jumps error 404 .-.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh_maximaster View Post
    I click the link ans jumps error 404 .-.
    Don't click, just copy and paste.

Blog Entries
    Really grateful that these are finally getting translation. I've really curious about the Atlas stuff in Case Files.

Quote Originally Posted by alienncoww View Post

Vol 5-6: ‪https://imgur.com/a/AbBtsTJ‬....
    Aaack I can't seem to open them even if I copy and paste the link D:

Quote Originally Posted by Amakura_Akagi View Post
    Thank you so muchhhhh

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by azwhoisverybored View Post
    Chapter 1, Part 1

We collapsed in the narrow underground tunnel.

The spotted walls and ceilings that revealed the dirt of the tunnel looked as if they could collapse at any moment, making me feel very uneasy.

Though the quietude probably meant that this place had remained the same for the past couple of centuries, I could not help but get affected by its appearance.

“…So, we’re retreating first, are we,” my mentor said breathily, trying to stabilize his breathing. His gaze was directed at the person who had just joined us. A hazy knight in shining silver armor stood there.

The word “hazy” here referred to not only his expression. His entire figure was blurred, materializing in and out of existence. Even so, combined with his incredibly vivid and expressive demeanor, it was still generally possible to distinguish his feelings.

“Of course. I wasn’t good at this sort of street-fighting nonsense in the first place. The things I value most are these hands for holding pretty girls, and this tongue. It's already almost a miracle that I managed to mow down enough of those impatient bone soldiers to get you two to safety.”

I suppose he had to be emotionally resilient(?) to be able to say that with a straight face(?).

Though, we did receive his help, so I wasn’t sure how to respond to what he said.

When we were escaping from the bone soldiers, we had ran for our lives without bothering to consider anything to arrive at this place. It seemed that there were many other paths besides the path we went down initially. We were now hiding out in one of them.

“……”

I was still in a state of confusion. I never would have never thought that someone like a knight would spring out from Add even in my wildest dreams. It was simply not something I could have reasonably thought up of.

I still held the giant scythe in my hands.

Yet, I was still driven to the brink of collapse by terror.

My mentor glanced at me from a distance before he spoke.

“You introduced yourself as Sir Kay, didn’t you.”

“Huh. You even know to add the ‘Sir’.”

“Of course, Sir Kay. If you’re referring to the adoptive brother of King Arthur.”

Though it was something I had already realized, I still almost yelped in surprise.

The legend of King Arthur. The famous British tale of a holy sword and a round table. The original legend behind the story of knights, full of countless adventures and romance.

Hearing those words, the knight gave a tsk.

“Well, what a pity it must be that I’m the one who’s here. Though, when it comes to legends, it is inevitable that the reality’ll be a let-down. After all, aren’t the even stars in the night sky just lumps of rock anyway. Though some people probably think that it doesn’t matter as long as they shine, but I’m not interested in that sort of boring nonsense.”

He frowned displeasedly.

Every movement of his made me confused and agitated.

I knew these movements. Though I recognized them, they were not the same from what I remembered. Even so, some part of me was sure that though they were different, they came from the same place. The contradiction between what I felt and what I remembered made me feel uneasy.

“…Servants summoned by the Holy Grail will receive knowledge of the present from it, so Servants not summoned by the Holy Grail will be given knowledge of the present by the world.”

“Ha. You mages are always so full of garbage. What, will bookworms fall out of you like an old book if you get shaken too hard?”

“Possibly.”

Seeing my mentor’s somewhat serious nod, the knight shrugged even more unhappily.

“Though, that answer only gets thirty points. I’m not even a Servant, much less a Heroic Spirit. Because I didn’t come from that throne or whatever you call it, the world doesn’t give a crap about me. The stuff I brought up before all came from the knowledge of that stingy idiot of a sealing Mystic Code,” he corrected.

That last sentence had the most impact on me.

The words that had been stuck in my throat for the past while finally erupted forth in a yell.

“What happened to Add!”

I couldn’t even wait long enough to stand up, so I moved towards him while still hugging my knees.

“It’s not responding to my calls! Is it broken!”

It was probably the first time in my life that I had forced someone I had just met to answer a question like this. However, all of my fear had been shoved to the back of my head as I approached the knight in silver.

The knight extended his hand and knocked on the giant scythe with a thud.

“It’s not broken.”

As he said that, the knight— Kay shook his head.

It was impossible to explain just how relieving that answer was to me.

“Though, the functions have stopped working temporarily. After all, all the Magical Energy stored up in there was probably all used up to get me to materialize. Of course, the other reason why it managed to work was also because of the environment here.”

“It’s stopped functioning…”

I held onto the scythe tightly and swallowed. How long was this “temporarily”?

Was it a day? A month? Maybe a year? Or perhaps even longer than that?

However, it seemed that not even the knight knew the answer to this question. Though it was the question I wanted to know the answer to desperately, I forced myself not to, and tried to find a more meaningful question to ask. I had mountains of questions, so I had to choose a few useful ones out of them.

“Then, why would you get summoned from Add…”

“The mage over there’s already figured it out, right?” He tossed the subject over. My mentor did not reply immediately. After carefully considering his hypothesis, he spoke.

“You were the Personality Model for Add, yes? ‘Personality Model’, in this case, also includes specific physical and equipment conditions. After all, the personality of someone is not completely dependent on their Spirit. …Though, the reason why anything can materialize this way is puzzling,” my mentor said.

“Pretty much, yes.”

“Personality… Model…?”

“Basically, this [lance],” the knight said, pointing to my [scythe]. That meant that he knew the truth behind the lance, but I guess this was obvious since he had been summoned by Add.

The holy lance Rhongomyniad.

The lance once used by King Arthur, a Noble Phantasm on par with the holy sword Excalibur.

“Actually, I’m the Personality Model used for the Mystic Code meant to seal the lance, so I was sent here originally with the lance and that guy’s corpse,” continued the knight, somewhat irritatedly.

“And then, when they were sealing the lance, I was chosen as the related person with the most compatible personality. Hmph, it was just that I was different from those other knights(idiots) because I didn’t care about all that mystery nonsense. Only those idiots would try to break a seal just because it was there. That sort of guy should be shoved into the ground for as long as possible.”

I could only understand about half of the knight’s words.

He was probably discussing the king he once served.

King Arthur.

To him, that person was his adoptive little brother —Or, according to the legends of my hometown, little sister, though their relationship seemed to be quite complicated.

“I don’t know what ended up happening to that guy’s corpse. That Glastonbury place did say that the body’s there, perhaps there might even be something behind that. As they say, once something gets worshipped, meaning gets added to it. Since she was originally protected by the island itself anyway, there’s really no need to have just one burial place,” said the knight in a light yet solemn tone.

However, it made my heart feel heavy in my chest. Every word he spoke was like the toll of a knell from the distant past. Perhaps this was because I had come into contact with it before. The fragments of the knights, including Sir Kay, that I had heard when I undid the Seal of Thirteen.

“This is a battle for survival.” —Approved, Kay.

“……”

I took a deep breath.

My thoughts belonged to myself alone.

Even if I had heard his voice then, I could not impose that onto him. Even if I told him that I had been encouraged by his voice before, it was the person who stood in front of me now who I needed to face.

I carefully considered my thoughts and then raised my head to look at the knight.

Just then, my eyes met with those of the knight.

“Though, you really look quite like her.”

“Huh?”

“Never mind, pretend I didn’t say anything. Similar, but different. Yes, completely different.” He said to himself, nodding.

Was there a resemblance or not?

Of course I knew who the knight was referring to. After all, I had always been compared to that person.

“Um, do I look like—”

“—A person’s appearance is not simply determined by their face. Not a single other person will be like that guy, not even in a hundred years. Perhaps someone who bears some speck of resemblance might appear in a millennium.”

After he finished his sentence, the knight limbered up his shoulders. (?)

“Returning to the subject, you two just want to get out of this mess as soon as possible, don’t you? I’ll be with you until you do. After all, I was only summoned by that guy to do this. Though the working conditions are hardly ideal, it’s endurable, since it’s only for a while.”

“You say that we’re in a mess. Is that because you already know of our experiences?”

Hearing my mentor’s question, the knight responded huffily.

“Of course I know. You called it [the second cycle] or something, didn’t you.”

The second cycle.

Because of Zepia, we had been removed from our original timeline and placed here, six months ago. Though I still didn’t know if it was really the past, it was definitely similar.

That time in the past when I had just met my mentor.

“Did you also learn of this through Add?”

“Yes. It’s too complicated to explain in detail, but that box basically knows everything that kid sees and hears. That information is also shared with me.”

“I have one last question,” my mentor added.

“What exactly is this system of tunnels underground?”

“Sadly, I don’t know anything Add doesn’t know. I’ve never been brought here in my past life, either,” said the knight, shrugging exaggeratedly.

“Though, I suppose you could call it the true Blackmore Graveyard.”

His low, somber voice settled into the cold darkness of the crypt.
    -End of Part 1 of Chapter 1 of Book 7-

I must complain about how these characters do not ask questions with question marks.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know that that picture existed until just then either, so if anyone realizes that I've forgotten to put one in, please tell me!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh wait and also on that note does anyone know where I can find the images for books 8 and 9? I have a couple, but not all of them, and they have high-contrast filters pulled over them (I really don't know why).
    So I just realized, if Kay was the one who brought Artoria to Blackmore then that means the last surviving members of the Round Table were also the two earliest members (Kay and Bedivere).

Chapter 1, Part 2
    Chapter 1, Part 2:

[…She escaped?]

Her thoughts quietly resounded in the cave.

The masked girl sat in the middle of the cavern.

Strange soldiers of bone surrounded her, as if they were protecting her. Though the scene was jarring enough to be something out of a horror film, it gave off an odd sense of loyalty and sincerity.

As if it was part of a story of knights in ancient times.

[What happened?]

To her question, a couple of bone soldiers clacked their teeth together. Though no words were exchanged, the girl seemed to gather some information from the actions of the bone soldiers.

[A knight in silver armor appeared?] She remarked, after a few seconds of consideration. The masked girl propped her chin onto one hand and sank into thought. [Give chase.]

The bone soldiers began to move.

They scattered into the bifurcated tunnels in small groups. Though it was a mystery as to what they were, these soldiers comprised only of bone and Magical Energy seemed to have minds of their own.

The masked girl still sat atop the rock.

The armor that entwined with the rock resembled a flower of iron. If so, perhaps the boulder beneath her was her throne. If those bone soldiers were her knights, then she could indeed be called a queen.

The queen of the underground.

In the past, perhaps she would have been the queen of the underworld.

“If she does manage to escape… then let her be,” she muttered to herself after some time.

It was a sound that was as raspy as the scraping together of stones, as if someone who hadn’t spoken in years was forcing their vocal cords to produce noise.

“Escape somewhere far, far away, where no one can reach. If that place really exists, escape all the way to that Everdistant Utopia (Avalon).”

Her words seemed almost like a prayer.

“Though, that sort of place doesn’t exist at all. Especially for you and I.”

The low voice echoed through the cavern. Just as even its echo seemed to fade into the darkness, there was a thud.

The masked girl turned. It came from the direct opposite direction the soldiers had gone in.

[What is it.] She asked again with her thoughts. A scent came from that direction.

The scent seemed to tell her something, and she nodded slightly.

[…Is that so. I’ve heard that the church has been watching this place. Are they also starting to act now?]

The girl in the mask reacted as if she had anticipated this long ago.

For that reason, her next words were said quickly, as if they were the results of calculations completed many years ago. There was almost even a trace of boredom in them.

[I understand. If that is the case, I shall follow the ancient contracts and vow to expel them from here.]

A warm, moist wind blew threw the underground tunnels.

After that, the conclusion was cast.(TN: can you cast a conclusion? I have no idea)

[The time has come for me to become “her”.]
    The setting sun hung low on the horizon.

In the wash of crimson that dyed the mountain red, a group of people were at work in the village.

The church was at the center of this flurry of activity. This place, which had been sequestered in tranquility throughout its long history, had suddenly been invaded by a completely different atmosphere.

First of all, the door had been broken down.

The stained glass panes next to it had also been smashed. The holy water font looked like it had been struck by a blunt object, while plates and censers had been swept to the floor.

Everything that had been brought in from outside of the village had been destroyed, as if the original form had finally been revealed.

…The one who stood at the barely-intact pulpit was not the priest.

“…I see.”

The raspy voice travelled through the church.

After a few seconds of pause, the old woman raised her head. It was the person who the villagers called “Granny.” Perhaps you could call her the leader of the village.

A large number of villagers had gathered in front of her. It was around double the number that would come here for mass usually. Though, the atmosphere now was completely different from what it was usually like in the church. No, perhaps you could say that the villagers had finally shown their true colors.

“Listen carefully. The fragments of our great king have finally reached a decision.” The villagers cheered to that, as if the old woman’s words were prophecies from a god. It was the reason why they had gathered here.

The normalcy of the village was all just a disguise. They had been born for this singular purpose ever since tens of generations ago. Everyone was extremely glad that they had been born in this era to witness Gray’s transformation.

(TN: Using they/them pronouns for these people because the original text doesn’t use any pronouns here)The middle-aged person who had been the owner of the equipment shop hefted their sharpened hoe. The cook who always dozed off while running the only restaurant in the village now sharpened their treasured dagger.

Everyone smiled at the thought of that girl.

Everyone was as happy about that girl’s growth as if she was their own children.

“You all understand, yes?”

Her voice seemed as if she had gotten ten years younger.

“Go and greet our great monarch, the once and future king. The time has finally arrived,” the old woman instructed.

The church was completely silent.

However, everyone was practically shaking with excitement. They carried strong, almost fanatic sort of will. This group of approximately a hundred people was so united in their goal that they could now be seen as a singular, giant creature.

“We must not let her leave this village,” the old woman continued and said.

“Magdalena.”

The woman whose name was called quietly walked up.

It was Gray’s mother. As if she had only just remembered that it was her own name, she raised her head happily.

“Have you found Gray?”

“Yes, we know her approximate location.”

She said that with a smile. Behind her, there was the sound of dripping water.

The dark red liquid formed a pool, and its foul scent spread in the summer air.

The messenger from the church hung his head and did not move. Blood still flowed from the wounds on the hanged man. This sort of torture, which not even trained people could withstand, had been completed by Magdalena herself.

“Eliminate them. Just like how we battled for our independence back then in these mountains. Roar, for this land is our holy land, which none can invade. —Indeed! No one shall hinder the descendant of our great king, who we have longed for since days of yore!”

Suddenly, the old woman’s expression softened.

She raised her wrinkled hands. The light of the setting sun that streamed through the shattered stained glass windows dyed her hands in a bloody red.

“We swear this upon our Holy Mother!”

The black-dyed statue stared down at them with the same expression as always.
    -End of Part 2 of Chapter 1 of Book 7-

This really shouldn’t have taken me this long, but I had essays to write. I guess 5 days isn’t that long, though
    On a side note, King Arthur's grave is on Magdalene St., which is another form of Gray's mother's name. Probably just a strange coincidence.

US Friend Code
    Thanks as always. Yeah 5 days isn't long really.

By the grave on Magdalene St. I assume you mean at Glastonbury? I dunno given it's about Arthur's grave that may not be a coincidence, maybe Gray's mom's name was intended to be Magdalene not Magdalena.

Thank you so much for your hard work! And yeah five days is not a long time at all to wait for a translation. That said, are you currently looking for proof readers?

Quote Originally Posted by fearboss View Post
    Thank you so much for your hard work! And yeah five days is not a long time at all to wait for a translation. That said, are you currently looking for proof readers?
    You're welcome!

I haven't really thought about looking for proofreaders, mostly because it just never occurred to me, but I'll think about it? There are a ton of sentences that sound clunky/are just straight up wrong in the approx. 50k words I've done so far, so I can definitely see a reason why having someone proofread it would be helpful. But then there's the problem of how I don't have a schedule at all, how I would then have to revise each translation, how I would then feel indebted to the proofreader, and etc.
    Last edited by azwhoisverybored; December 31st, 2021 at 04:05 AM.

I also realized that I've forgotten to post the link to the Japanese -> Chinese that my translation is based on, which is this: https://www.23qb.net/book/112784/. (It's on a Chinese-based novel reading website that definitely does not have rights to their translations, which they apparently just let you download. I would advise against running it through your online translation service of choice, because copy-pasting it duplicates or triples some of the characters for some reason.)

Chapter 1, Part 3

“…There’s something that I’d like to make sure of while we’re at it,“ the knight suddenly said.

We were carefully investigating the surrounding terrain. According to the knight, we first needed to find out how to get out of this system of tunnels. He also said that it would be better to check out the nearby diversions than to wander around aimlessly.

“What did you do during the time between [the last half of the third day and the fourth day] of the First Cycle?”

This question made me cry out uncontrollably. (??) The knight stared straight at my mentor with his hazy face.

“You don’t remember? Didn’t you say that you inherited Add’s memories.”

“Unfortunately, there’s nothing in Add’s memory about what happened after the third night. The memories stop after meeting the guys at the church, returning home, and eating dinner. I’m afraid that Gray’s food had probably been drugged. Because Add’s consciousness is in tune with Gray’s, every time this one goes to sleep or loses consciousness, Add enters a similar state. The people from the village know this.”

“Wait.”

My mentor raised a hand and interrupted him.

“You say they drugged her.”

“You’re really asking that now? It’s exactly like I said. The villagers aren’t those moe (TN: Couldn’t think of a better adjective, wouldn’t have said that but you get the point) girls that I like, they’re not afraid to lay fingers on little Gray here.”

My mentor’s shoulders shook slightly.

He knew, of course.

The reason why he hadn’t looked deeply into the events of the fourth day when we met and went over the events in the First Cycle was because he was afraid of touching on anything that might evoke my psychological trauma. When I first left my village, I had detested discussing anything related to it. I wasn’t even curious at all when I heard that they had discovered the corpse of someone who looked exactly like me. I had completely averted my eyes from my village, and never considered thinking about what happened the last day before I left. I thought that since I wasn’t there anymore, I should just leave everything behind and start anew with London and the Clock Tower.

If it wasn’t for my mentor, or the members of the El-Melloi Classroom including Reines, I would have never considered returning to this village.

“This village was always like that sort of a place,” the knight said quietly. The sarcastic tone with which he said it made it feel as if he was talking not to other people but to himself.

“The sole purpose of this village is to transform Gray into a replica of King Arthur. Ah, to think that entire generations spent who knows how long on this kind of boring thing. It wouldn’t even suffice to call it a grudge (?). Though the idea of a family business sounds pretty good, there’s just no point to doing this sort of thing,” the knight begrudgingly said, revealing what we had known all along in an instant.

I had always known this. However, my mentor froze briefly in response to that, which was undoubtedly something worth being happy about (?). Most people who dealt with mystery completely disregarded common practices in the rest of the world. No, it was that they didn’t care about those things in the first place, like all the mages I had met so far.

“Hey, Gray, do you really remember nothing? Though the drugs would have made your consciousness become blurred, you must remember something. Even if you really are a forgetful idiot, there must be information hidden in the nooks of your brain, right?”

His words shot through me like the sharpened point of a spear. “Is [this] the reason why you avoided anything related to your hometown after you left?”

His sharp words made sparks fly in my mind.

“—Ahh! (TN: Alternatively, ouch)”

“Gray!”

I stopped my mentor, who wanted to rush over to me, and used my other hand to clasp my head.

Indeed. Though I was only half-awake then, I still had a trace of consciousness.

Ah, yes, though my senses were blurred, the smell I had smelled then still lingered in my mind. It was a smell of rotting weeds and water, a miasma that made me feel like my throat was going to rot as I breathed it in. There was no place in the village that was like this. However, I did know of one place.

“It’s… the swamp…”

“The swamp?”

My mentor’s voice seemed so distant. The senses from my flashback had shaken my brain(?). I did experience this. This receptor (body) did process these fragments before, but they had disappeared from my mind. I desperately tried to drag those fragmented memories out like a spinning wheel, but as soon as I managed to pull some out, it disappeared like sea foam.

“I… that’s right… I saw…”

What?

That was all I could recall.

The doors to my sealed memories were still locked. A couple of rays of light shone from the gap between them. I gathered the scattered fragments to my memories. Suddenly, an image flashed through my mind.

No, it was a sound. It was a loud, piercing shriek, as if hundreds of ravens were cawing at the same time. To my side, someone was yelling at me.

—“You… (did something to)… me…”

The one who lay in a pool of blood…[the masked person.]

“In the midst… of the crows… the other… covered in blood…”

“Gray!”

If it wasn’t for my mentor, I might have actually collapsed.

“So that’s the reason why you didn’t want to return to this village.”

The knight shrugged slightly.

“Both you and Add’ll get nothing out of being too kind. If you make her have a dream or something like a mage, maybe all this could be solved.”

“It’s not like I haven’t thought of that,” my mentor answered, while gently supporting me.

“Though, entering the consciousness of someone battling with emotional trauma can alter their minds significantly. …Besides that, mages have obligations to care for their students.”

“Ha. That’s why I say you’re too kind, nerd.” The knight puckered up his hazy mouth and tsked. “So, after what Gray just described, she was handed over to you?”

“…On the morning of the fourth day, Bersac came to me with an unconscious Gray in his arms. He told me then that this girl was now in my hands, that her corpse had been discovered near the Black Madonna, so nobody would try to follow us, and that I shouldn’t ask about anything else. That way, she would be saved, and I would have gotten a grave keeper of Blackmore Graveyard.”

“I see. So you were completely out of the picture during the First Cycle,” the knight said, while sighing and scratching his head.

“Though if I just leave it be, it might go the same, unfortunately, I’ve already boarded this boat. Then again, even if the results are the same, it still can’t be helped… On that note, according to what you said, did something happen between Bersac and the villagers? Did Bersac steal Gray over from the villagers while they were planning to perform some sort of ritual on her? Or did another similar incident happen?”

“…I don’t know. I didn’t ask him back then.”

Just as my mentor finished his sentence, the knight suddenly put his a hazy ear up against to the wall of the tunnel.

“…Well, this is bad,” he muttered.

“What happened.”

“Someone’s coming in this direction.”

He stared at the darkness.

I stood up nervously.

I held onto the scythe form of Add tightly. Perhaps it was because he cared for me that he stayed in this state. At least I could fight this way. At least I could protect my mentor.

However, my will to fight dissipated when I saw the person who approached.

“…So you’re here,” said a low voice.

My mentor’s magecraft light(TN: whatever a light summoned by magecraft’s supposed to be called) illuminated a sturdy figure. Though he was old, he still held a giant axe in one hand with ease.

“Oi, isn’t this too much of a coincidence? This is what you call… Speak of the devil, isn’t it.”

“Mr… Bersac.”

I felt my throat go numb for an instant.

I didn’t know what emotions I was meant to face him with.

In the time I spent at my village, he was the only person who treated me like a human being. Just like Kay had said just then, other people saw me only as the body of King Arthur. At least, he was the only one saw what I was and still raised me as the next grave keeper. He even handed Add, who once belonged to him, to me.

Bersac Blackmore, the inheritor of the Blackmore lineage, and the true grave keeper.

“…There’s an extra one, surprisingly.” As he said that, Bersac narrowed his eyes and stared at the hazy knight. “If you’d excuse my rudeness, who might you be?”

“What a bother, the situation seems to have gotten more complicated. Just like I told these two here, just call me Kay. You don’t have to introduce yourself, I know you incredibly well, and I don’t want to hear another man introduce himself seriously.”

The knight shrugged nonchalantly.

“Kay? As in, Sir Kay?”

“So you’re also going to add the ‘Sir’.”

The knight sighed as if he’d had enough.
    Even so, one hand remained on the hilt of his sword, and he did not let down his guard. If he saw Bersac as an enemy, that blade would probably slice through the grave keeper in a flash. Or maybe, like the knight had said, perhaps his silver tongue would be faster than his blade.

Bersac turned to look at the scythe in my hands.

“Did you come from inside Add?”

“Huh, as only can be expected from an old friend. Your guess is close enough. That guy managed to breach the defense mechanism and forced a Spiritual Origin (body) onto me. Either way, that’s how I ended up here, babysitting.”

“……”

I could not fully process this situation.

I originally thought that there would be bone soldiers, but I had made mental preparations to face the villagers. I never could have thought that the first person we met was him.

My mentor walked forward and stood in front of me as I struggled to figure out what to do.

“Are you our friend, or our enemy, Mr. Bersac?” He asked, carefully.

Extreme tension seemed to crush even the air in the cave.

Just as the tension was about to reach its peak, Bersac turned.

“…Follow me.”

His shoes clomped against the stone, and the sound of powerful footsteps resonated throughout the cave. I had followed after these footsteps for many years, but as I walked forward out of habit, my mentor reached out and stopped me.

“Could you please first answer my question. If the two categories of enemy and friend aren’t appropriate, could you at least first tell us the information you have.”

“You’ve should have guessed it all already.”

“Guesses are not the same as confirmed intelligence. Wasn’t the appearance of Sir Kay just then a surprise to you as well.”

“…Hm.”

Bersac let out a low groan(??).

“…I see, so there has to be some form of basic confirmation. Alright. Right now, both the church and the villagers are looking for Gray.”

“Both of them? Does that mean that the goal of the church differs from the goal of the villagers?”

“Of course.”

Bersac nodded.

“Then, as the grave keeper of Blackmore Graveyard, is your goal also different?”

“To a certain extent, it is the same as the villagers’.”

I felt the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight up.

Was this person my enemy, or my friend.

I had probably spent the most time with this grave keeper than with any other person. Was it possible that this person was also one of those who gave their lives to transform me into a replica of King Arthur? I thought that I might go mad from how tangled the situation was.

“Why are the villagers looking for Gray?”

“Why are you still asking this question at this time, Lord of the Clock Tower.”

His voice sounded incredibly stiff, perhaps because of the question that my mentor just asked.

“I’ve already heard something similar from talking to Sir Kay. He said that the purpose of this village is to transform Gray into a replica of King Arthur’s body. However, I don’t think that this [itself] is their goal. If there was no purpose to creating an identical body, they wouldn’t have retained this will for generations.”

He arranged and ordered the mysteries that had piled up as if he was moving chess pieces.

“I do have a theory. Many additional things have been mixed into the legend of King Arthur. Even the Holy Church and the Clock Tower have their own inputs on the situation, so it’s almost impossible to find out what was part of the original legend… However, there is one very famous part.” My mentor glanced over at Sir Kay, and continued.

“The words ‘the once and future king’ are inscribed on her grave.”

“……”

“I’m not sure know what ‘the once and future king’ is supposed to mean. Usually, I would assume that it was because she was a beloved king. It’s a legend about a wise, just ruler who will one day reappear to save her people in times of crisis. Similar stories that imply the desire for a savior appear all over the world, and it’s only natural, since it’s a rather simple wish,” he continued, as Bersac remained silent.

Hearing my mentor’s words, a strange expression appeared on the knight’s face. What emotion did he hide under the hazy face, I wonder?

What sort of comment would someone give on the lord they had served under a thousand years ago? Regardless of whether or not King Arthur was really the hero the legends described, he must have emotions that are difficult to describe.

Because, it’d be like if someone was talking to a person who they’ll never get to see again.

No matter what they do, they’ll never be able to undo past mistakes, and the tragic result will torment them forever. No matter how many times they come up with alternative words they could have said then or things they could have done, and no matter now many alternate correct answers they came up with, all their efforts are ultimately meaningless. In the end, all they can do is watch everything unfold and fall apart before their eyes. (TN: There is basically no subject in this entire paragraph originally, so it might make more sense to translate the subject as ‘your’ or ‘one’, but that looks weird)

That was also the reason why Faker was angry, wasn’t it.

“Therefore, all the villagers are all hope desperately for the king’s return,” my mentor remarked.

“The once-promised return of the once and future king.”

His whispered words made me hold my breath.

The once and future king (TN: alternatively, eternal king). What a glorious phrase, overflowing with majesty and hope. And yet, those same words were driving me to my doom. After hearing all this information, even fool like me could anticipate what was to come. I held my fist to my chest.

“…Mr. Bersac,” I said to him.

“I saw… the masked person with those bone soldiers.”

“You saw her?”

Bersac’s expression tightened. Though I had been with him for a very long time, as we would be in the graveyard regardless rain or shine, I had never seen him have such an expression.

“Who is she? Does she live underground? …No, is she a replica of King Arthur, like me?”

He did not respond immediately.

Even so, I could not back down now.

“Please tell me, Mr. Bersac.”

“…..”

I could hear the sound of his teeth grinding in the silence.

In the next instant, Bersac whisked around suddenly.

“—Like this!”

He swung his axe.

The heavy mass of iron cut through the air, slicing a couple of strands of my hair, and shattering the bone soldier that had crept up behind me.

The grave keeper pulled his axe from the pile of bones and shrugged. “Now I’m also one of their targets.”

“I suppose you’ll have to suck it up and deal with it, then.”

Kay whistled lightly. Bersac stared at him.

“It’s impossible that you didn’t notice that. Were you testing me?”

“Of course. It’s a lot easier to figure out things like this as quickly as possible, before the relations start getting complicated. Only a masochist or a really cold-blooded person would enjoy being around someone you didn’t know was an ally or an enemy.”

In other ways, Kay was observing how Bersac would deal with the bone soldiers. The knight, who just had his ear to the wall, looked up.

“We’ll have to talk later. I think they heard the sounds just then, and are now scuttling over.”

Soon, I also heard that noise. It was the sound of scraping armor and clattering metal, which was unmistakably produced by the army of bone soldiers. My mentor tensed up, while Bersac lifted his axe again.

“Do you not plan on using that sword,” Bersac asked the knight.

“Haha, no, I’m only here to babysit, so I’m going to avoid physical labor as much as possible. Though, I’m no amateur. The air has been flowing that way for a while.”

The knight turned his head and looked toward the twisting tunnels.

“Sir Kay?”

“Though I’d very much like to forget it, that obnoxious idiot of a court magician did say once that the best tactic is always to escape when possible.”

He turned around and immediately started running.

The sudden escape shocked us all momentarily, but a horde of bone soldiers flooded in immediately from the opposite direction.

“—Gah! Move!”

Bersac slammed his axe onto the cave wall with great force. The extreme might of the blow destabilized the foundation, and dirt clods began crumbling from the walls and raining from the sky from the point of impact. Just as the three bone soldiers in the very front of the group were buried by dirt, we followed after Kay.
    The bone soldiers who had been disoriented in the collapsing tunnel quickly recovered. They gave up on rescuing their fallen companions, and a couple of them raised their sledgehammers to open a path through the obstructed tunnel. Since they had received orders from their master, they didn’t even consider retreat. They could not tire, so they could only advance.

They knocked at the dirt wall with their iron hammers, not caring if they accidentally hit their fallen companions. Their coordinated movements made them feel like automatons specifically designed for this purpose. However, after a few seconds, their movements stopped.

“…Hmph.”

Someone stuck out a tongue.

“It was hard enough already chasing them there, but I never thought that they would have collapsed the entire tunnel. I was so close to getting her.”

The bone soldiers turned silently.

Perhaps they had some way of judging the power level(?) of the people around them, as their mysterious systems had probably started shooting sparks of confusion.

A woman clothed in pure black stood in the equally dark tunnel. There was a splatter of freckles barely visible on the sides of her nose. Her eyes were the color of tea, and her body seemed out of place for an ascetic nun. The bone soldiers did not know the name of the person whom the surface world called Illumia.

“Hi.”

The wink she tossed at them was, of course, ignored.

One of the soldiers charged up to her, and swung its sword. The strike seemed as if it was strong enough to sever the head of someone just by brushing past it.

However, the nun dodged the blade deftly, and performed a backflip.

For a moment, it was as if a crescent moon had risen in the darkness.

The spine of the bone soldier was pierced by her flying kick. With that, the nun leapt up again and performed another gravity-defying backflip (Moonsalto). With the full force of her body, her foot fell upon the other bone soldiers. The instant she hit the ground, she swiftly crouched downward and performed a sweeping kick. She then stomped down on the ribs of the bone soldiers who she had just tripped.

She was alarmingly strong.

Her flexibility and agility resembled that of a carnivorous beast. Her balance could be regarded as the limit of human capability.

In an instant, her limbs were covered in gray armor.

Purple tendrils of electricity emanated from the surface of the armor. Perhaps it was because of the spell had been imbued into it, the old pieces of paper that could be seen between the armor plates. The bone soldiers, which did not react at all to regular attacks, did not revive themselves after being struck with attacks enhanced by the armor.

It was one of the pieces of equipment used by the Executors of the Holy Church.

Its name was the Ash Lock. Usually, it was disguised as regular gloves or boots, but it could transform into a conception weapon if a couple of pieces of paper were slid together. As they are easier to use than Black Keys, the majority of Executors prefer them. (TN: That sentence was copied from the description on the wiki.)

Of course, even though they were easy to use, they still held devastating power.

“Come on. (TN: This was in English originally)”

The nun beckoned them forward. She straightened and stood in the stance of a boxer.

The five remaining bone soldiers charged over in a line. There were two each on the left and the right, and another jumped from the back and attacked from above. In order to confuse their opponents, they created subtle differences in how their movements were coordinated, a skill that only an experienced soldier could pull off.

The nun hummed a light tune and took a step forward.

Electricity struck exactly five times.

“Ah, sorry. That may have been overkill.”

After her apology, the skulls of the four soldiers shattered, while the last bone soldier, who had taken an uppercut, hit the ceiling. Fragments of bone rained down.

Illumia impatiently brushed off the pieces that had fallen onto her, and laughed coldly, turning around. Soon, the light of a lantern appeared behind her.

“Aren’t you a bit too slow.”

“…Ha, huh, even if, you say, that,” said the almost spherical priest huffily with one hand braced on the wall as he looked around. Only scattered fragments of bones remained.

“…You did this, right?”

“Isn’t that a pointless question to ask. The very existence of these undead is blasphemy towards the Lord. Dust to dust, and ash to ash. How could I tolerate things that turn against the will of the Lord like these?” The nun said displeasedly.

Of course, that was part of the reason. In the context of regular religion, she was most certainly right. There was hardly any room for rebuttal.

Father Fernando narrowed his eyes.

It was hardly noticeable.

“Alright, time to catch up, Father Fernando.” With a thump, Sister Illumia punched her fist into her palm, and jerked her chin in the direction of the tunnel.

-End of Part 3 of Chapter 1 of Book 7-
    Last edited by azwhoisverybored; January 6th, 2022 at 04:16 AM. Reason: Slight edits, courtesy of fearboss

Blog Entries
    I see that the tradition of the One Punch Saint was passed down the church. Martha would either be embarrased or secretly proud.

死徒(上級)Greater Dead Apostle All fictions's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Off the top of my head, what I remember most clearly is the anime changing what happens when Trisha reveals her future sight: in the novels, she makes Waver raise his hand so he catches a flying kettle. In the anime however, it's to make him catch a falling Gray, who blushes heavily and runs out of the room as a result.

You might say that's just Gray being shy/bashful, but the anime made a point of peppering a lot of these moments where Waver was concerned. When Kairi talks to her at the end of the black dogs arc, she blushes when he tells her that Waver needs her to stay grounded in the present. And then you have the whole gift subplot and how it's framed as uber significant to Gray. And there's also how, in the final episode, she watches Waver sleeps with a forlorn look, before Add makes his joke that she should kiss him (he makes the same joke in the novels, but here Gray is poking Waver's cheek and barely reacts to Add's joke besides punishing him).

If it was not intended as romantic, the anime gave really weird vibes still. Even though she is shy, the novels paint Gray as at least used to Waver, likely due to seeing his sloppy sides daily. She is so used to him he is one of the only characters she is snarky about in her internal monologue (she especially comments on his lack of stamina) besides Add. The anime just made her even more moe without her other traits
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafflesiac View Post
    Punching out some nerd doesn't make you a better magus.