View Poll Results: Would you like to see Beast's Lair purchase and include a site Wiki?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

38 74.51%
  • No

13 25.49%
Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 182326272829 LastLast

Thread: Would you like for us to make an integrated Wiki?

I know what you've been doing, nii-san. Dark Pulse's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Probably will still make the Wiki in the future, but I might just make a full-blown MediaWiki implementation that won't be linked nicely to the forum, as that's free while this is not. The linking of accounts with VaultWiki isn't really a justifiable reason to spend $70 to acquire the mod, and then an annual renewal for support/upgrading fee of $30, when regulaer old MediaWiki is free. I'm not very fond of subscription-based support and I'm absolutely not fond of renewal-based upgrades.

I'd be fine with paying a bit more but having permanent support, but that's not an option.

On the flipside, if anyone writes code and is willing to become a code monkey for us, not only would some other planned things here get done faster, but they'd probably be able to make it integrated fairly easily. (Someone had made a mod that did exactly this, but it only applies to vB3, so it wouldn't work for us.)
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Of Leaves and Lilac - Two weeks in the life of Tohno Akiha.
    Returning real soon-like!

Old Quote Crap!

Quote Originally Posted by eddyak View Post
    99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoadBuster
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsaRandomUsername
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Quote Originally Posted by DezoPenguin View Post
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing
    [14:08] [Kelnish] no
    [14:08] [Kelnish] it isn't
    [14:09] [Cruor] how can there be so many bugs
    [14:09] [Cruor] in one mod
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Because quality assurance doesn't exist anymore
    [14:10] [Dark_Pulse] Unless it's Quality Ass, U Rance
    [14:10] [Daiki] ...
    [14:10] [I3uster] oh god dp was funny
    [14:10] [I3uster] apocalypse confirmed
    [14:10] [Wakame] the horror

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Pulse View Post
    On the flipside, if anyone writes code and is willing to become a code monkey for us, not only would some other planned things here get done faster, but they'd probably be able to make it integrated fairly easily. (Someone had made a mod that did exactly this, but it only applies to vB3, so it wouldn't work for us.)
    Depends what you mean by "code monkey", and how much effort it requires....

Blog Entries
    Well, I don't write plugins/mods for vBulletin, so I'm not sure, but it can't be too hard as there's tons of people who write them. (Some even sell them, which is perfectly legal by vBulletin TOS.)

Perhaps this will help - I think it's accessable to general public. It's vBulletin.org, which is the mods site (not an official vBulletin-owned site).

It also definitely wouldn't hurt to start brushing up on vB5. In fact, if we had someone who did some coding for us, it could allow us to make the move faster, since it seems they're about to release the Gold version of vB5 (it's currently in beta).
    "Get lost. You wouldn't recognize a goddamn vampire if one jumped up and bit you on the end of your fucking dick."

Old Quote Crap!

99% of all Terminators would destroy John Connor over any other carbon-based life form.
    Why do you think we got all these mods? So I can sit back and do jack shit, obviously!
    I propose more forumite-based words. Like Darpleosity (adj. a state of existence signified to calmly analyzing and making an argument/case in a way that defuses tensions and makes the participants in said argument look like twats for continuing on with antagonizing and/or being stubborn for the sake of being stubborn while also using good-natured humor to enhance said post).
    Having been, as I3uster put it, "other clueless dude" earlier today in precisely this fashion, I'm going to have to be in favor of necromancy. Or be a hypocrite. But as a lawyer, I prefer to get paid when I indulge in hypocrisy, thank you, so I'll stick with necromancy.

[14:06] [Cruor] petri is it possible to play Phoenix III/Steppewolf without it crashing

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Depends what you mean by "code monkey", and how much effort it requires....
    Probably more effort than you'd ever spare for anything, Myke. :P

Blog Entries
    Not necessarily.
    Now Loading...

[15:09] <KnightTurtle> "I WILL NOT DIE FOR THE BEAUTY OF MATH. MATH IS MY SOUL AND BLOOD, MY PASSION. MATH IS WHAT KEEPS THE WORLD RIGHT. I WILL ON FOR THE BEAUTY OF NUMBER CRUNCHING, THE MIND NUMBING ABILITY OF CALCULUS, THE SOUL OF THE BARE BASICS OF ARITHMETIC"
    [21:21] <+EnigmaticFellow> we derive fun from integration

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
    Probably more effort than you'd ever spare for anything, Myke. :P
    Well, it is true that getting me to actually put effort into things is quite hard

Blog Entries
    Well, depending on how hard he wants to go with it, I'd certainly pay the man.

Little rinky-dink code that does something minor is one thing. Major code is another matter entirely.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, depending on how hard he wants to go with it, I'd certainly pay the man.

Little rinky-dink code that does something minor is one thing. Major code is another matter entirely.
    Well, what do you need doing? I could certainly give it a go, particularly if you can pay me for it (it doesn't have to be much, I just have to be able to convince my mum that I'm "working" and not pissing around...).

Blog Entries
    I'd probably have to think on that for a bit.

The two things that would majorly "need" code right now would be:
    • Obviously wiki stuff (In this case, I'd probably go with full-blown MediaWiki and just have you tie user accounts on the board to the Wiki, making it one seamless login for both, or else at least the ability for users to "link" the accounts in the board profiles, so that if someone wants to sign up at the Wiki but not the forum, for some reason, they can do so).
    • Waiting on plugin authors to have new vB5 versions of the plugins we use cooked up (there's probably 6-10 of these). Unless you wanted to recode these.

We're not going to have an option of upgrading to vB5 until the latter is done at least, as I don't want to lose functionality and I'm not sure if anything the plugins do is handled natively by the board or not. I would have to look deeper into vB5 before I could tell that.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'd probably have to think on that for a bit.

The two things that would majorly "need" code right now would be:
    • Obviously wiki stuff (In this case, I'd probably go with full-blown MediaWiki and just have you tie user accounts on the board to the Wiki, making it one seamless login for both, or else at least the ability for users to "link" the accounts in the board profiles, so that if someone wants to sign up at the Wiki but not the forum, for some reason, they can do so).
    • Waiting on plugin authors to have new vB5 versions of the plugins we use cooked up (there's probably 6-10 of these). Unless you wanted to recode these.

We're not going to have an option of upgrading to it until that is done at least, as I don't want to lose functionality and I'm not sure if anything the plugins do is handled natively by the board or not. I would have to look deeper into vB5 before I could tell that.
    Would I even be allowed to do the second? I'd imagine that whoever wrote the original plugin would have a copyright on it....

The first makes sense, though, although it's not easy to write without access to a database etc.

Blog Entries
    Well, nothing could fundamentally stop you from writing a plugin that does the exact same functionality. If you looked at it, then rewrote it, it may be a problem, but if you 100% wrote it without looking at their code, they really have nothing they can argue.

The first also depends on talking to dovac (I'll need him to set up the database for the wiki), and needless to say, after the recent downtime, I want to give the guy a couple weeks' break.

And keep in mind that if you did this, you'd also have to support the things if they break (i.e; forum upgrades) or if they have bugs somehow.

Old Quote Crap!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Well, nothing could fundamentally stop you from writing a plugin that does the exact same functionality. If you looked at it, then rewrote it, it may be a problem, but if you 100% wrote it without looking at their code, they really have nothing they can argue.
    Well, yes, perhaps, but that's likely to take a hell of a lot longer than updating it would, and it's difficult to guarentee that you are actually retaining the same functionality, particularly without access to the backend.

The first also depends on talking to dovac (I'll need him to set up the database for the wiki), and needless to say, after the recent downtime, I want to give the guy a couple weeks' break.
    Yeah, that figures.

And keep in mind that if you did this, you'd also have to support the things if they break (i.e; forum upgrades) or if they have bugs somehow.
    Well, yes, obviously....

Blog Entries
    Ahem, So uh yeah, how about some progress on this?

Spoiler:
    It's dead Jim

アカシャの蛇 The Serpent of Akasha RacingeR's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Ahem, So uh yeah, how about some progress on this?
    No.

quotes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1984 View Post
    Besides, I don't see what's so terrible about looting anyway. It's only property, they're not actually harming anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by lantzblades View Post
    when I say hero I don't mean hero in the spirit sense. I mean a morally grounded, good natured person who doesn't slaughter innocent people. No such person exists in the Nasuverse.
    [00:12] <~Katie> i can't defy my origin
    [00:12] <~Katie> of gay memes

[16:15] <~Katie> lesbians has always been my gimmick and i will exploit it to the fullest

[22:56] <@Sei> airen is pegging hero this time
    [22:56] <@Sei> for once airen isn't the uke
    [22:56] <@Kuroyuki> I thought Air was the Woman in the Relationship?
    [22:56] <@Airen> Yeah I kinda thought I was the girl too!

Blog Entries
    Hey it would be better than hearing so much about the fact that the other Wiki is terrible and nobody likes to use it!

JP Friend Code
    お林
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Milbunk View Post
    Hey it would be better than hearing so much about the fact that the other Wiki is terrible and nobody likes to use it!
    There's always the TYPE-MOON Wiki.

very very very slowly, maybe Complete Material PBworks will grow into Fuyuki replacement whether arai wants it or not.

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Legit, just make a board where you can request editing privileges and lock account creation on the wiki if you are so anal about food not editing.
    The Hall of Selected Cruor Praise
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    Oh right.

GLORIOUS CRUOR SENPAI RECOMMENDED THIS TO ME HE IS THE BEST USER EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
    1. Your favourite character and why.
    Curor, I mean the man likes DDD, he must have had a hard life, yet he's still trying so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinach View Post
    Cruor is so handsome and nice I want to brush his perfect hair and maybe caress his rosy cheeks. Now put me in your sig ya fuck
    Quote Originally Posted by Snow View Post
    If only people praised me as much as they praise you, Cruor-sama!
    Quote Originally Posted by Polly View Post
    Cruor is very nice

It's literally never happening. Not even joking. Just forget about it.

Blog Entries
    Well it's never going to get done with that attitude that's for sure!