Page 122 of 367 FirstFirst ... 2272112117120121122123124127132172222 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,440 of 7331

Thread: Monthly Create-A-Servant Contest

US Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by Morg van Destro View Post
    I would've liked to see some expansion on his backstory, but sometimes a monster is simply a monster, and there's nothing wrong with that.
    I would have liked to add some more to it, but I'm not a very good writer, so I kept it short. And the vagueness was to reflect the vagueness of Jack's legend as well.
    I have a feeling this isn't the case and more of a "like minds think alike", but was your Mass Hysteria Skill inspired by mine?
    *Waggles hand* More or less.
    Basically, I like where your heads at, Kid. I look forward to your work in the future, and hope it reflects the present.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Yog View Post
    Awesome sheet Enigmatic, can't wait to see more from you!
    Thank you kindly. *bows*

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors Kabalisto Koga's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Spring Heeled Jaxck : nice profile for a first try could be Abit longer like a personality section but overal well made , and official a heartly welcome in our rounds .
    Your verified Chikara-production Studios !

Dont ship me with anyone unless i say so !

When you wake a Dragon in his Lair...

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The personal Skills and NP doesn't seem to show up.

Foreigner of the Mythos

Appearance:

True Name: Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Aliases: H.P. Lovecraft, The Author

Sex: Male

Height: 182 cm

Weight: 52 kg

Alignment: True Neutral

Attribute: Man

Alternate Classes: Caster

Natural Enemy:
    Foreigners
    Other People
    , Himself

Talents: Editing, writing horror stories, and annoying others

Armament: Pen and paper

Parameters:

Str- ???

End- ???

Agl- ???

Mag- ???

Luk- C

NP- EX

Class Skills

Existence Outside the Domain: E

A Class Skill associated with Foreigners, it denotes a being that descended from the void of outer space.

While he is a Foreigner, he was born to entirely human parents and lived on the planet his whole life; thus he simply possesses the bare minimum that the Class container grants him.

Because of this Foreigner receives no benefit from this Skill, only possessing an air of otherworldliness about him. Although this air can grind against the minds of the weaker willed and mentally ill.

“Most do not seem to enjoy my presence. I assure you, the feeling is entirely mutual.”

Personal Skills

Ephemeral Nightmare: A

A Skill that represents a lifeform born from illusions due to an individual's desires, and the mental anguish that this knowledge brings to said lifeform.

Foreigner was not aware of his true origins in life; but even then he was always plagued with the knowledge he was different, he was an other, and this manifested in his self hatred and various….opinions regarding humanity.

However, as a Servant he is painfully aware of the truth of where he came from, and he hates it.

“I know always that I am an Outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.”

Self Origin Actualizati
    on: EX

An absurd Skill that acts as a curse blessing upon Foreigner’s Saint Graph, its effect can be said to be the Transfiguration Skill taken to its utmost limit.

In reality, it represents Foreigner’s ability to freely alter his Saint Graph.

In essence it allows Foreigner to freely change his parameters, with Luck and Noble Phantasm being the sole exceptions, as well as being able to grant himself any Servant Skill he is aware of.

However,there are two caveats to this cheat Skill: 1) Foreigner must sit down and write out these changes before they can take place, and 2) they must have consistent internal logic. IE: Foreigner cannot give himself A++ Ranked Godslayer without being able to first justify how he could possibly possess the Skill.

Notably Foreigner’s own neuroses ensure that the writing must be up to his incredibly high and perfectionist standards; rendering use of this Skill in battle near impossible.

“Perfection may not be attainable, but in pursuing it I shall achieve excellence. Even if no one truly appreciated my writings until after I had died.”

“Regarding why I can so freely change my core aspects? I’m not entirely sure, maybe it has to do with the amorphous nature of the gods I created?”

Connection to the Root: E-

The mark of an omnipotent wish granter. Normal parameters will become meaningless to those in possession of this Skill.

Foreigner wrote of vast beings who dwelled beyond even the farthest star and could rend the sanity of any who so much as gazed upon their grotesque splendor, and everything he wrote of was completely fictional. However, the evil gods do exist exactly as he described them in his works. How Foreigner penned everything so accurately is unknown to all but him.

Regardless, he does not like to acknowledge this Skill and bringing it up is a surefire way to sour his already morose temperament.

“The oldest and strongest emotion of Mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest fear is fear of the unknown.”

“However, do you know what is worse than the unknown? Knowing the whole sordid truth.”

Noble Phantasm

The Outsider
    The Strange Chronicle of H.P. Lovecraft

Type: Anti-World
    Range: Irrelevant
    Maximum # of Targets: Irrelevant

The
    life of Howard Phillips Lovecraft
    Noble Phantasm of Foreigner
    . Rather than being a crystallization of his legend it can be said that The Outsider is the truest expression of Foreigner himself, it exemplifies his nature as an author and exalts the writings of a disquieted mind.

In layman’s terms it allows Foreigner to bring his stories to life using the people and animals around him, allowing him near-absolute control of anyone in its range. Fortunately, the constraints of the Servant Class system has reduced said range from “the entirety of the Solar system” to “merely the land in which the Holy Grail War takes place.” The victims of this Noble Phantasm find their normal personalities suppressed, replaced with that of the role that would best fit them. Also, any items or beings needed for the ‘story’ to function are spontaneously generated regardless of whether they existed before or not.

If a Reality Marble overlays Gaia with the user’s inner world, and a Marble Phantasm uses Gaia’s world in order to overwhelm their opponent, The Outsider takes control away from the planet and Humanity in order to give it to Foreigner. Truly an overwhelming ability that would ensure Foreigner absolute victory, if it were not for the limits placed upon it.

First and foremost, this Noble Phantasm requires abhorrent amounts of Magical Energy, roughly 3x times the operation cost of Karna’s Vasavi Shakti, to activate. Second, Foreigner must be writing for the entire duration of this Noble Phantasm’s activation and if he stops, or is interrupted, it will end. Third, in life Foreigner refused the existence of all gods and thus any Servant or Pseudo-Servant possessing Divinity above C Rank will be immune to the control aspect of The Outsider. Finally, those with sufficiently anti-mental interference Skills will be unaffected by the control aspect as well.

“A strange ability for a humble author, no? Bah! I never cared for cloak and dagger antics. Master, my True Name is Howard Phillips Lovecraft, the father of the Cosmic Horror genre.”

…..

“What do you mean you already knew!?!”

…..

“It was obvious!” *Lovecraft shakes his head.* “Regardless, I doubt you are aware of the whole truth. Listen and listen well Master; for I hate having to repeat myself.”

Biography
    Foreigner’s identity is Howard Phillips Lovecraft, an American horror writer from the early 20th century famous for works regarding the sanity obliterating Great Old Ones and Outer Gods. However, he was even more infamous for his eccentric behaviors, laundry list of neuroses and phobias, and regressive attitude even for the time period. Born in Providence, Rhode Island he spent most of his life in New England and died at the age of 46 of cancer; spending the last months of his life in constant pain. He never achieved success in life, dying utterly penniless and ultimately alone. However, there is more to the chronicle of H.P. Lovecraft, much much more.

Unbeknownst to even the man himself, during his life at least, Lovecraft was nothing more than an errant thought brought to life. An observation tool of the anomaly that is humanity dreamed up a vast entity beyond space and time. In a single moment that stretched seemingly for an eternity an errant thought ran through this entity’s incomprehensible mind: ‘Interesting.’ The thought was quickly lost and scattered to the cosmos, as all the thoughts of the entity tend to do, but the damage had already been done. The observation probe was manifested and conceptually pointed towards the Earth, and had picked the perfect surrogate family in order to manifest a physical form and fulfill its thoughtless and careless purpose: the observation and recording of the species known as Homo Sapien and its condition.

As Lovecraft grew his presence started to have more and more of a detrimental effect on the others around him, pre-existing mental disorders and negative emotions becoming amplified and worsening in those who were close to the young boy. His own father’s untreated syphilis suddenly skipping straight to terminal and driving him insane, before killing him shortly afterwards, a mere three and a half years after his son’s birth. His mother and aunts’ grief at the patriarch’s death was amplified by the boy’s presence and seemed to grow deeper and deeper; until his own mother was sent to the asylum for hysteria. Lovecraft quickly found the only way that he could maintain any sort of meaningful relationship was through long distance and letter exchanging, a habit he would continue to do for the rest of his life. He eventually married a beautiful young woman named Sonia Greene, but that didn’t end well and he prefers not to speak about the relationship.

“Now you know the horrid truth Master, I am naught but a tool with no purpose. A camera pointed at nothing, a blunted and dulled knife, a firearm with no gunpowder or bullets, to put it simply; I am useless and should not exist.”

…..

“What do you mean I am acting stupid?!”

…….

“My purpose is what I make of it? Is that all you have to say?”

……

“Heheheheheheheeh HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH”

!!!!!!!

“Snrkt Apologies Master, I just find your earnestness humorous; not many humans are like you.”

Personality

Lovecraft was a sullen and dour man in life, crippled by various phobias and intense social awkwardness, his incarnation as a Servant has done little to alleviate this. If anything it has made his temperament even worse, being more withdrawn now than he ever was in life and far more confrontational, and prone to fits of anger if provoked. Although many of his phobias have been relieved with his ‘revelation’, his misanthropy and sense of alienation from the rest of humanity has only grown wider. Despite all this, he will begrudgingly go along with his Masters wishes and will even work with others as long as he feels he is not being abused.

“I do not generally get along with others, but I will make a rare exception for you Master. Do not make me regret this decision.”

Lovecraft is filled with a sense of absolute self-loathing and existential dread at almost all times, with the knowledge of what he is fraying his mental state and forcing him to dwell on circumstances beyond his control.

“My wish for the Holy Grail Master? It’s simple, I’d wish I was never born.”

Fundamentally Lovecraft never viewed himself as a human being, with most human pleasures meaning nothing to him and this fact ensured it would be immensely difficult for him to connect to 'normal' people. Due to this he values solitude, peace, and quiet above almost all else, often staying in his designated office space for days at a time unless forced out.

Foreigner believes with every fiber of his being that there are no gods and that religion is nothing more than a tool of fear and control to keep the sheep of the world in line…..he has since learned to keep this opinion to himself after a run in with Saint Martha.

Despite all of this Lovecraft does believe, deep down, that humanity does have an illusive and supreme quality to them: the ability to not be overwhelmed by immense and crushing odds. People who don't give up no matter how much the cold, dark, and cruel universe punish them are his favorite kind of people.....as much as he hates to admit that.

"Seeing them rise over and over again no matter the circumstances…..it fills me with an indescribable feeling. I do not like it, but it is pointless to try and deny it."

Relationships
    Abigail Williams- “Children shouldn’t dress like a prostitute. Where are your parents young lady?”

Jeanne D’Arc- “This man claims that God is nothing more than a figment of man’s imagination! Clearly I must educate him with the proper scripture.”

Sir. John Franklin (Foreigner)-‘A delusional fool, and a degenerate cannibal on top of his obvious mentally instability, I shall avoid him at all costs.’

Servants who possess Divinity- “Charlatans! There is no God, and if there is he is a cruel and apathetic one!”

My first ever contest servant, wow, just wow. This little fella would have never been possible without the valuable input of Lady Vanatos and Enigmatic, and I am beyond grateful for them. He's a bit cliche I know, but I had an idea and ran with it. So just give me your honest feedback because I mainline criticism. And wow, I never noticed I accidentally posted this thing in the middle of editing, lol. Sorry guys!
    Last edited by Lazy Yog; February 21st, 2021 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Explanation for the technical repost

Blog Entries
    Howard Phillips Lovecraft: Terrible sheet. I mean, you didn't even mention in the personality section his strange affection for cats! How can I judge him with such a glaring oversight?
    This is genuinely the most interesting take of Lovecraft I've seen. Honestly, this is a really cool sheet that I think has a good chance of winning despite how late in the game you posted it. A great concept with a OP yet defeatable Servant that honestly is something I wish I had made when I did Lovecraft. This is good.

Blog Entries
    I'm not one hundred percent satisfied with it and it's rather half-finished (IMO) but I did the best I could in about four days and I can't make the faceclaim any smaller. Hope you like it anyways.

CASTER

Class: Caster True Name: Lafcadio Hearn
    Alignment: True Neutral Region: Japan Source: Historical [Nineteenth Century]
    Titles: [Koizumi Yakumo] [Patrick Lafcadio Hearn] [Caster of Fear]

Manifestation Cost: Low Armament: Book Attribute: Man
    Compatible Master: Alice Natural Enemy: William Shakespeare
    Character Design: Anzhong CV: Toshihiko Seki First Appearance: Fate/Extra

PARAMETERS
    STR: E CON: E AGI: E
    MAN: B LUK: E PHA: B

CLASS SKILLS
    Territory Creation E
    - Establishment of favored ground. Caster has no access to magecraft and cannot produce even the most basic of magi workshops. He must now refine the inherent mystery within locations rumoured or otherwise proven to be haunted.

Item Construction E - Mystic tool production. Haunted literature is the main reagent Caster can procure while lacking the magical circuits required for crafting certain other items. Regular usage of his Noble Phantasm functionally compensates for this skill instead.

PERSONAL SKILLS
    Apostate D -
    Protection derived from debasing religion. Opposing mysteries rooted in the divine decrease in one rank through Caster’s critique of them in life. Those of Asian extraction find themselves made immune however - resultant from his staunch defense of Buddhism.

Folklorist A Plus - Gathering of cultural fables. Themes from Caster’s vast collection of Japanese, Buddhist or Chinese folktales may be incorporated into his own writing to strengthen their mystery. He further gains the Artistic Eye skill to identify related attributes hidden elsewhere.

NOBLE PHANTASM
    KWAIDAN - TALE OF MYSTERIOUS THINGS
    [RANK: B][TYPE: ANTI ARMY] [RANGE: ONE] [MAXIMUM NO. OF TARGETS: ONE HUNDRED PERSONS]

A chain-bound book scribed in crimson blood ink. Many dark parables from Japanese history were once gathered into its accursed pages. Embodied ghost stories are now summonable as familiars by Hearn writing their tales within. These legends then materialize in reality through turning local believers of the specified tale into synthetic leylines to support them.

Folkloric themes can be further merged with his creations to refine their mystery beyond normal limits. Even horrific entities from modern culture are perfectly usable. These might require creative workarounds to avoid their famed restrictions however. Some pre-existing belief is also needed for any monster to truly manifest. Destruction of the book does not result in the demise of the familiar unless they or their leylines have been first destroyed either.

PERSONAGE
    FIRST PRONOUN: 我 [WARE]
    SECOND PRONOUN: 貴殿 [KIDEN] 貴官 [KIKAN]
    THIRD PRONOUN: あの方 [ANOKATA]

NATURE
    Hearn is rather gloomy and prefers reading to conversing. He would only generally do so if people show interest in ghost stories but is otherwise happy being left alone with his thoughts. Therefore - events happening around him are met with dull indifference. Most individuals are wary of this seemingly frosty attitude and thus avoid him. He does not hate humankind though.

RELATIONSHIPS
    [Shakespeare] You find enjoyment in tragedy do you not? How utterly droll. Perhaps try writing something with an interesting twist next time. Horror is a wonderful inspiration.

[Japanese Yokai] To think that you genuinely exist. It seems there is some grain of truth in many of those stories after all. We must go over your legends in detail. There might be something that was missed.

[Nursery Rhyme] You are the mirror image of Alice but you are not. Could you be a demon that takes on the appearance of someone’s precious person? Hmm - a living Reality Marble that was friends with Alice you say? How intriguing. Let us discuss this more.

LEGEND
    Famous western novelist from Nineteenth Century Ireland. He is best known around the world for conserving Japanese ghost stories but his formative years left him suffering through much misfortune. Being abandoned by his birth mother, going blind in one eye and spending adulthood nearly penniless were only several of the tragedies Hearn endured. Emigrating to America simply worsened this fate however. He once found employment reporting on murders for his local newspaper yet was fired for both anti-religious views and marriage to an African-American woman he later divorced regardless. Only his writings helping preserve the unique culture of New Orleans gave him any hope of financial success.

Hearn was later recruited to correspond with Japan where his luck finally changed. Tales of their culture captured his imagination until he adopted the name Koizumi Yakumo, became a Buddhist and then married the daughter of a prominent samurai family. Even Asian ghost stories were gathered by him into his greatest magnum opus [Kwaidan] that slowly spread across the globe. He eventually passed away of heart failure in 1904 as the beloved father of four, well-respected professor of a prestigious Japanese university and one of the greatest literary conservationists of modern times.

Servant Sheet Compilation
    Pronouns - She/Her
    'Winner' of the Legendary Jack-Off

アルテミット・ワン Ultimate One asterism42's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    reminder that the deadline for submissions is tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandstorm77 View Post
    He's just putting the bone of his sword into other people until it explodes and lets out parts of him inside them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerEmiya View Post
    Genderswaps are terrible, but I think I and other people would hate them less if Fate didn't keep ignoring actual heroines throughout history and folklore. Like, why bother turning Francis Drake into a woman when Ching Shih and Grace O'Malley exist?
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_X View Post
    Fate Zero is just Fate Stay Night for people who think Shirou is too girly
    Quote Originally Posted by Comun View Post
    I think Alex IV can eat Goku.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft: Terrible sheet. I mean, you didn't even mention in the personality section his strange affection for cats! How can I judge him with such a glaring oversight?
    This is genuinely the most interesting take of Lovecraft I've seen. Honestly, this is a really cool sheet that I think has a good chance of winning despite how late in the game you posted it. A great concept with a OP yet defeatable Servant that honestly is something I wish I had made when I did Lovecraft. This is good.
    Thanks man, like I said I had an idea and I ran with it. Regarding the cats, it completely slipped my mind that he preferred them to human company. Guess it's time to add the Tamamo Cat and Nyalter interactions.

Blog Entries
    Lafcadia Hearn: not bad i think you just Need to practise in servant making thats all Anju ! Have you seen actually my contest contribution ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kabalisto Koga View Post
    Lafcadia Hearn: not bad i think you just Need to practise in servant making thats all Anju ! Have you seen actually my contest contribution ?
    I just didn't have enough time to go all out this contest I'm afraid. I'll eventually post up the properly finished version on the other Thread anyway so I'm not too bothered. I have not seen yours yet, I will look tomorrow night when I vote.

Servant Sheet Compilation
    Pronouns - She/Her
    'Winner' of the Legendary Jack-Off

I'll have your heart! Hound of Ulster's Avatar
    i know i asked this last time but what's the deadline in terms of time? is it right at 12 AM, or is there a bit of a buffer? timezones suck, etc.

Local Extra Class Aficionado DelRey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I would take asterism's time of posting as a benchmark: here

Btw I will post a compendium for the many entries of this months contest again. so if somebody wanted to do that, dont bother with cataloging the 23 servants so far, i have them ready
    Last edited by DelRey; February 21st, 2021 at 06:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    as long as none voted yet

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anju Addams View Post
    I just didn't have enough time to go all out this contest I'm afraid. I'll eventually post up the properly finished version on the other Thread anyway so I'm not too bothered. I have not seen yours yet, I will look tomorrow night when I vote.
    I understand and i meant you just Need to get back into practise , besides i had a or more second contribution ideas but havent got far enough to reveal them , however ist nice that you are back at showing us your servants now are you officially back in our rounds ! and sorry if that sounded weird beforehand Anju i hope you get how i mean that.

Time to do another last minute sheet then ;;

I asked myself — “Of all melancholy topics, what, according to the universal understanding of mankind, is the most melancholy?” Death — was the obvious reply. “And when,” I said, “is this most melancholy of topics most poetical?” From what I have already explained at some length, the answer, here also, is obvious — “When it most closely allies itself to Beauty: the death, then, of a beautiful woman is, unquestionably, the most poetical topic in the world.

The Divine Edgar

True Name: Edgar Allen Poe
    Class: Berserker
    Alignment: Poetic Mad

Background

Edgar Poe, who was born in Baltimore, in January, 1811, was at this period of remarkable beauty, and precocious wit. Mr. John Allan, a merchant of large fortune and liberal disposition, who had been intimate with his parents, having no children of his own, adopted him, and it was generally understood among his acquaintances that he intended to make him the heir of his estate. The proud, nervous irritability of the boy’s nature was fostered by his guardian’s well-meant but ill-judged indulgence. Nothing was permitted which could “break his spirit.” He must be the master of his masters, or not have any-
    Edgar Poe, who was born in Baltimore, in January, 1811, was at this period of remarkable beauty, and precocious wit. Mr. John Allan, a merchant of large fortune and liberal disposition, who had been intimate with his parents, having no children of his own, adopted him, and it was generally understood among his acquaintances that he intended to make him the heir of his estate. The proud, nervous irritability of the boy’s nature was fostered by his guardian’s well-meant but ill-judged indulgence. Nothing was permitted which could “break his spirit.” He must be the master of his masters, or not have any-
    Lo! ’t is a gala night
    Within the lonesome latter years!
    An angel throng, bewinged, bedight
    In veils, and drowned in tears,
    Sit in a theatre, to see
    A play of hopes and fears,
    While the orchestra breathes fitfully
    The music of the spheres.

Mimes, in the form of God on high,
    Mutter and mumble low,
    And hither and thither fly—
    Mere puppets they, who come and go
    At bidding of vast formless things
    That shift the scenery to and fro,
    Flapping from out their Condor wings
    Invisible Wo!

That motley drama—oh, be sure
    It shall not be forgot!
    With its Phantom chased for evermore
    By a crowd that seize it not,
    Through a circle that ever returneth in
    To the self-same spot,
    And much of Madness, and more of Sin,
    And Horror the soul of the plot.

But see, amid the mimic rout,
    A crawling shape intrude!
    A blood-red thing that writhes from out
    The scenic solitude!
    It writhes!—it writhes!—with mortal pangs
    The mimes become its food,
    And seraphs sob at vermin fangs
    In human gore imbued.

Out—out are the lights—out all!
    And, over each quivering form,
    The curtain, a funeral pall,
    Comes down with the rush of a storm,
    While the angels, all pallid and wan,
    Uprising, unveiling, affirm
    That the play is the tragedy, “Man,”
    And its hero, the Conqueror Worm.

Personality

Edgar Allan Poe was a man who walked the streets, in madness or melancholy, with lips moving in indistinct curses, or with eyes upturned in passionate prayers, (never for himself, for he felt, or professed to feel, that he was already damned) for their happiness who at the moment were objects of his idolatry; — or, with his glances introverted to a heart gnawed with anguish, and with a face shrouded in gloom, he would brave the wildest storms; and all night, with drenched garments and arms beating the winds and rains, would speak as if to spirits-
    Edgar Allan Poe was a man who walked the streets, in madness or melancholy, with lips moving in indistinct curses, or with eyes upturned in passionate prayers, (never for himself, for he felt, or professed to feel, that he was already damned) for their happiness who at the moment were objects of his idolatry; — or, with his glances introverted to a heart gnawed with anguish, and with a face shrouded in gloom, he would brave the wildest storms; and all night, with drenched garments and arms beating the winds and rains, would speak as if to spirits-
    Take this kiss upon the brow!
    And, in parting from you now,
    Thus much let me avow —
    You are not wrong, who deem
    That my days have been a dream;
    Yet if hope has flown away
    In a night, or in a day,
    In a vision, or in none,
    Is it therefore the less gone?
    All that we see or seem
    Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
    Of a surf-tormented shore,
    And I hold within my hand
    Grains of the golden sand —
    How few! yet how they creep
    Through my fingers to the deep,
    While I weep — while I weep!
    O God! Can I not grasp
    Them with a tighter clasp?
    O God! can I not save
    One from the pitiless wave?
    Is all that we see or seem
    But a dream within a dream?

Parameters

Strength: D
    Endurance: C
    Agility: C
    Mana: B
    Luck: C

Class Skills

Mad Enhancement: EX

The skill of the Berserker class. Parameters and physical abilities are raised in exchange for mental capacity being hindered.

In Poe’s case, parameters are raised, but one’s mentality is greatly affected. For Poe, it is the madness of the poet. Viewing the world through the lens of its ‘author’ and ‘critic’, and the people of the world around him as merely ‘characters’ and ‘subjects’. Even one’s own body is seen through a disconnect, as simply another character for the author to inhabit; a ‘protagonist’ of sorts. The world is viewed simply to be assessed and written over with one’s quill of acid. Evaluated by the critic, and made into greater art by the poet’s pen.

In this sense, no matter how one interacts with him, it is impossible to come to an understanding. Just as the characters of a story cannot possibly interact with the author, neither can any person touch Poe’s mind through this madness. The harshest criticism of him is simply ‘dialogue’, the most terrifying sights simply an attempt at horror, a sincere bond between people merely a well-written interaction.

Even though one’s mental capacity is scarcely affected, it could be called the greatest form of madness. As if the world is a mere dream, and he the dreamer.

Personal Skills

Enchant (Gothic): A+

A skill that can manifest concepts into items. It could be considered ‘Literary Masterpiece Endowment’. For an author such as Poe, considered one of the greatest authors of America, whose work was translated and enjoyed across the entire world, his high rank in this ability is unquestionably deserved.

It functions as an ability to add powerful abilities to already existing objects, via composition of a poem that truly elevates the status of the item in question.

Considering Poe’s extraordinary fame, raising objects to the level of a Noble Phantasm is possible. However, due to his own mindset, only objects he considers of a correct aesthetic can be elevated in the first place.

Naturally, this aesthetic tends towards the ‘gothic’ in form. Corpses and skeletons, crows and ravens, elaborate instruments of torture, bloodied murder weapons - things of that nature.

His own perfect subject of melancholy beauty - the corpse of a beautiful woman - can naturally be elevated to the maximum state by use of this ability. The insistence on his part that only such a thing could be worthy of being the ‘protagonist’ is the reason he has been summoned in this form.

Innocent Monster: C

A skill possessed by those whose true legend and history have been distorted by the false reputation surrounding them, modifying their personality and appearance, and sometimes abilities.

In Poe’s case, this skill is possessed due to the influence of one Rufus Wilmot Griswold, an enemy of Poe’s who jumped to write his obituary upon his death, and somehow became his literary executor. He slandered Poe as a raving mad drunkard, colouring his reputation with the darkness and depravity of his own works.

This primarily affects his personality, distorting it into that of a maniacal villain, and heightening his obsession with the gothic subject matter he became famous for writing.

Natural Insight: A+

The intuitive ability to grasp the essence of things. One’s perceptive abilities are able to discover all relevant information. At this rank, foresight that is almost equivalent to future sight can be performed, simply by heightened perceptions and deductive abilities. If used against Servants, any concealment can be pierced, even by magecraft of Noble Phantasms, so long as a Luck check is passed.

As the creator of C. Auguste Dupin, one identified as the very origin point of the detective genre, this skill is a natural fit. In addition, the prose poem “Eureka” was one that via pure intuition was able to predict several scientific advancements… at least, according to Poe himself.

Noble Phantasms

Ligeia
    The Conqueror Worm

Type: Anti-Unit, Anti-Unit (Self)
    Range: 0-10
    Maximum Targets: 10

A Noble Phantasm that takes the form of Poe’s own body. An imposition, forced upon himself - perhaps in defiance of the twisting of his myth, or perhaps in a desperation to take the form of the most poetical subject there can be. The corpse of a beautiful woman, influenced by his own tale “Ligeia“, and the poem within it, ‘The Conqueror Worm’.

A tale in which a woman dies, and conquers death.

A poem in which death, that foul worm, conquers over all.

One’s own body becomes a living corpse, one of ‘the dead’. A corpse that cannot be destroyed easily, as wounds that would kill become little more than distractions. Sustaining one’s existence through devouring the flesh of the living, one is truly a ‘zombie’ in every sense. Things that affect the living are simply ignored, though sacraments that destroy the undead are a weakness.

In addition, the shadow of the worm is carried with this dead and rotting body. Those nearby will have their force of providence eroded as their ability to stay alive is reduced. Remaining in his presence for too long will simply sap away one’s life in its entirety.

This can be considered a ‘false Noble Phantasm’ of sorts, created by Poe’s own Enchant skill, and bolstered by his maddened mentality.

The Poetic Principle
    The Pit and the Pendulum

Type: Anti-Unit
    Range: 1-5
    Maximum Targets: 1

A reflection of Poe’s own views of art and its function, named for an essay he wrote on the subject. However, it appears his view of this has been twisted by the circumstances of his summoning. His aestheticism has been twisted into little more than a desire to hurt people.

Viewed in this way, the entire genre of horror is nothing more than a method of psychologically attacking people. Perhaps the original Poe would disagree with that. In any case, the idea that the function of art is to draw out the strongest feelings of humans.

A Noble Phantasm that can only be manifested after identifying the opponent’s deepest fear, it manifests as a weapon of that shape.

In a different class, it’s possible that this Noble Phantasm would be more versatile, creating a world of horror, specifically crafted to imprison the enemy in unending nightmares. However, as Berserker, its form is limited to simply a ‘weapon’. Naturally this limits the potential of inducing fear in the opponent, though there is no limit to the properties of a weapon that can cause mortal peril in great heroes. The hydra venom that caused such pain to many heroes, the burning fires of Hell that gave great knights pause - things of that nature.

Whatever it imitates is simply that - an imitation. But in the heat of battle, it’s unlikely that anyone without Poe’s own abilities of perception would notice such a thing.

Notes

Opening quote is from Poe’s “The Philosophy of Composition”.
    Poem one is of course “The Conqueror Worm” from “Ligeia”, and the second is “A Dream within a Dream”
    Biographical quotes that get interrupted are from Rufus Wilmot Griswold’s slanderous “Memoir of the Author”

Would have liked to spend more time on this, but I ended up rushing the NPs a little, and didn’t have time for a relationships section which likely would have had him just criticising other servants as though they were fictional characters in some sort of poorly written gacha game.
    Also would have liked to spend some more time prettying it up. Getting a weird glitch in collapse text in preview that I hope doesn't make it to the post.

- - - Updated - - -

Last minute sheet, not sure why its duplicating my collapse tags. If that's a problem other people have run into and has a fix, I'd appreciate some help with it because it's very annoying to look at. Still readable though, I suppose.
    Last edited by SSW; February 22nd, 2021 at 12:25 AM.

"... His character was dreadfully vicious, for that the possession of irresistible powers of seduction, rendered his licentious habits more dangerous to society."

Name
    : George Gordon Byron

Title(s):
    Lord Ruthven
    Lord Byron
    , The Scandalous Prince

Class
    : Assassin

Other Classes
    : Saber, Caster, Berserker

Place of
    Origin: England, Historical Fact

Alignment
    :
    Byronic
    Chaotic
    Evil

Attribute
    : Man

Armament
    : Sword, Fists, Rumors
    Keywords
    1 - The Byronic Hero
    "A man proud, moody, cynical, with defiance on his brow, and misery in his heart, a scorner of his kind, implacable in revenge, yet capable of deep and strong affection."
    A literary archetype and variant of the Romantic Hero, who are defined by their rejection of traditional heroic values, their alienation from society at large, and their focus on the self as the center of existence, inspiring others through heroic deeds rather than through mere word of mouth. Expanded upon by Lord Byron, the Byronic Hero presents itself with a greater degree of emotional and psychological complexity than its Romantic counterpart. Marked by their cunning wit, strong emotions and sensuality, impulsiveness, cynicism, and moodiness, the Byronic Hero is, in essence, the archetypical Anti-Hero, in a literary sense. While it is said that the first Byronic Hero written by Lord Byron was Childe Harold, the protagonist of Childe Harold's Pilgrimage, many have pointed out that Lord Byron himself more truly represents the first Byronic Hero in the way he had lived his life and conducted himself.

2 - Gothic Horror
    A genre of literature made famous in the 20th century, encompassing themes of horror, death, and sometimes even romance. A product of Romanticism meant to explore the feelings brought forth by the macabre and the morbid. A style of literature that seeks to add upon emotional aesthetics to one's literary work, evoking a feeling of fear in dread within an oppressively bleak setting. Such stories normally involve the battle between humanity and the forces of evil, whether the evil was supernatural in nature or created as a result of man's own folly. Normally such tales end with sad or bittersweet endings, ones that represent the inevitability of tragedy. It is through such strong emotion that true beauty can be found, and it could be said that the beautiful is also the most terrifying.

3 - The Vampyre
    A short story published by John William Polidori, Lord Byron's personal physician and friend. Brought forth in Geneva from a friendly contest between friends to write a frightening story, The Vampyre was written with Lord Byron as his inspiration, looking at both his past works as well as the man himself. Polidori ended up writing a short story following the adventures of two men, Aubrey and the mysterious Lord Ruthven, a character written to be a parody of Lord Byron. Lord Ruthven in particular was the titular vampire, a blood-sucking fiend of the night who lived among men in the day, and drank the blood of others at night. To this day, The Vampyre is considered to be one of the many progenitors to gothic horror, and specifically vampiric horror, inspiring many later works of vampire fiction such as Carmilla and the ever-influential Dracula. In other words, one could say that Lord Byron-, and as a consequence, the Byronic Hero,- serves as the template for modern vampires in today's media.
    Character
    Lord Byron, a famed English peer, poet, and politician. Regarded as one of the greatest English poets, Lord Byron was one of the leaders of the Romantic Movement, contributing mainly with the eponymous Byronic Hero, an archetype that has influenced many other writers throughout the ages. His most famous works include Don Juan and Childe Harold's Pilgrimage. Something of a modern celebrity, Byron's life was full of riveting tales and scandals, many of which have been hyperbolized to a ridiculous degree. Even his death at the Greek War of Independence would see him hailed as a national hero.

Lord Ruthven, one of the main characters of The Vampyre, is a bloodsucking monster from the depths of Greek folklore masking himself as an influential lord. Despite death and tragedy following his wake, Ruthven's true identity as a vampire was never unmasked as he continued to feed from others to his heart's content. Even those who had known what sort of monster Ruthven really was failed to act against him. A parasite that lived among men, who was beloved despite his scandals, Ruthven was indeed a suitable parody for Lord Byron. Perhaps Lord Ruthven was truly a persona of Lord Byron, masked exceptionally well within the vast scandals that surround the man? The fact that they both are believed to have died in Greece as heroes further adds to such a scandal...

A Rock-Star Type Servant. As an Assassin, Byron is more concerned about drawing upon his fame once more, enjoying the many things that the modern world has to offer. At the same time, he will also fight for his Master so long as they aren't a boring person. After all, fighting to the bloody end against other heroes of myth and legend is quite the riveting experience! No matter what cause he would find himself fighting behind, so long as his Master was as passionate as he was, then Byron would put even his life at the line. Otherwise, his Master would only serve as a thrall to further his own aims.
    Parameters
    STR: D

END: D

AGI: D

MGI: C

LCK: B
    Class Skill
    Presence Concealment: E
    Class Skill of Assassin. The capacity to hide one's presence as a Servant. However, due to the skill being antithetical to Byron's style and way of living, this skill is displayed at its weakest. At this rank, one's presence during the night can be hidden, somewhat, although it is still not suitable for spying on its own.
    Personal Skills
    Espionage: A+
    A Personal Skill befitting of the Assassin Class. Rather than concealing one's presence, this skill allows one's presence to fail to be registered as hostile. This skill causes others to misunderstand the user's own status, and in Byron's case, the rumors surrounding him form a sort of mask to hide his true self. In other words, through proper influence, Byron could appear as anyone he wishes to be. It is especially difficult to register his presence as hostile, and while this skill's effects are deactivated once hostile actions are performed, its effects would continue to persist after an engagement. Even after one would witness Byron performing something dastardly, it is difficult to see him as hostile.

Byromania: A
    Personal Skill of Lord Byron, the mystique and fame of one who is considered as the first modern celebrity. The natural talent to craft rumors surrounding one's self, directing them towards a specific end. Allows the user to cultivate scandals and rumors surrounding one's self, as well as shaping them to their desired outcome. Also allows for the creation of a cult of personality centered around the user, allowing for the creation of a spy network made up of one's fans.

Prince of Poetry: C+++
    Personal Skill of one who evokes strong feeling through written and spoken words, one that is possessed by an author of renown. It is a writer's goal to evoke the feelings of others through one's written work, with such a goal being a hallmark of the Romantic movement. Lord Byron had accomplished this not only through his poetry, but also his own way of living, encapsulating the essence of Romanticism. Through his words, a form of mental attack can be performed, inflicting the fascination status against other Servants. The severity of this attack can further be increased through the use of Byron's Noble Phantasm as it reaches the realm of the supernatural.

Looks of Loveliness (False): -
    Personal Skill that represents the absoluteness in one's own beauty. However, because Byron kept great pains to mask his hideous features such as his deformed foot or his voracious eating habits, this skill does not display itself at its true capabilities. Instead, this skill forms a fragile shell of beauty surrounding Byron. No matter how monstrous he would become, Byron will always remain beautiful in the eyes of others. After all, to be beautiful is terrifying in and of itself.
    Noble Phantasm
    Name: The Vampyre - A Fragment

Title: The Dreams of Poets Become The Realities of Life

Rank
    : A

NP Type
    : Anti-Unit (Self)

Range
    : 0

Maximum Number of Targets
    : 1 Person

The origin of the Vampire in modern fiction, and a collection of all vampiric folklore crystalized into a single Noble Phantasm. A literary legend brought forth from a writing contest in Geneva, shaped both by local legends, the Byronic Hero archetype, and Lord Byron's own self. In essence, this Noble Phantasm takes the shape of Byron's very being, more specifically as the archetypical "Lord Ruthven," a dramatic mutation of his own self. Through this Noble Phantasm, Byron obtains the many abilities of what it is believed that a Vampire should possess. This includes personal skills such as Battle Continuation and Bloodsucking. In other words, Byron becomes what is essentially a parody of himself, summoned in the Assassin class with the assassination of his own character as his sole act.

The true power of this Noble Phantasm does not stem from "Byron becoming a vampire," but instead it is from "Byron becoming what others believe a vampire to be." In other words, just like how he lived his life in a scandal, so too can his capabilities as a vampire be influenced by what others believe of him. It is through this ability that Byron's own capabilities can surpass that of a Dead Apostle, and even that of its literary descendent, Dracula. So long as the thoughts of the masses are influenced in such a way, Byron can essentially become anything, the goals of a writer reaching true fruition. This Noble Phantasm is also influenced by the tales of Vampires within the area Byron currently resides in, shifting in capabilities based off of local legends. This is both a strength as well as a weakness, as Byron obtains both the skills and vulnerabilities of whatever it is believed a "vampire" would possess in his current region.

It is an important denotation that the effects of this Noble Phantasm are only active when the sun is normally absent, between the hours of 6 PM and 6 AM, as it is widely believed that a Vampire could only exist at night. Another thing to note is that while this Noble Phantasm is based off of the Vampire in a literary sense, it was also one born from a contest between writers to create a ghost story, with its competition being Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, among others. As such, rather than calling this Noble Phantasm the origin of Modern Vampires, perhaps it could be more appropriate to instead call it the origin of Modern Horror, instead.
    Creator Notes
    Another certified late entry by Cu/Hound. Wanted to submit this during Valentine's Day, but I basically got rejected by my crush and spent the day drinking brown liquor and playing SoulCalibur VI instead, so one could say I had a Byronic Valentine's Day after all. As far as choice goes, I definitely was looking for a figure that would fit the more classical forms of horror. "lmao if vlad iii is castlevania dracula, what if ruthven was castlevania alucard" was the thought process that spawned this sheet. Castlevania is one of my all-time favorite series, and Dracula was also one of my all-time favorite books, so delving into the literary history behind the two was quite interesting. I feel like I could have done more with Gothic/Romantic themes, but I also did not get around to doing this until way later. I guess that's show business, baby.

And before you ask, yes, you can counter him by forcing everyone in the area to read Twilight.
    Last edited by Hound of Ulster; February 22nd, 2021 at 06:13 AM. Reason: FORMATTING ISSUES I SWEAR TO GOD

Your average angst/edge supplier BnEl15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    We sure got a huge influx of horror authors these past few days, and none of them failed to impress. This will make voting even harder for me...

Blog Entries
    Edgar Allen Poe: I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love non-standard Berserkers, so this one was always gonna catch my attention. Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Hound of Ulster View Post
    In other words, Byron becomes what is essentially a parody of himself, summoned in the Assassin class with the assassination of his own character as his sole act.
    And before you ask, yes, you can counter him by forcing everyone in the area to read Twilight.
    George Gordon Byron: Well, that's just sad.
    Also, writing down that Twilight thing for... future reference.
    Unfortunately, I was expecting you to use Nocturne, so I can't vote for this sheet in good conscious. Sorry. Good sheet, if you bypass that little isssue.

Quote Originally Posted by BnEl15 View Post
    We sure got a huge influx of horror authors these past few days, and none of them failed to impress. This will make voting even harder for me...
    You're telling me. I've been agonizing over it forever now.

Blog Entries
    Day 22 of Horror Servant Contest: It's finally time. Let the chips fall where they may. May glory and defeat fill the thread. Opinions and choices set on full display in guiding toward a single goal. Let the bloodbath begin, and a victor be shown.
    I'm gonna be slaughtered.
    Morg van Destro

To help me come to my conclusions, I decided to judge by which I believe actually best fits into the horror genre by presentation as well as description. While they are all good sheets, only a few elicit that response in me.

Honorable Mentions
    Joab (Saber): I do like him, especially after making the association with Pouf, but he doesn't really strike me as scary. He could be a slasher movie villain, but he'd be more at home in a action movie.

Hyas (Berserker): I said it before, but it's almost exclusively a horror story from his perspective. Honestly, the description of him having to use his deaths to kill other Servants lends itself more to a dark comedy. I'd probably watch that.

George Gordon Byron (Assassin): A late entry, but a good one. The originator of Gothic Horror is fun and interesting, but he doesn't hit that niche of horror for me.

Hassan al-Sabbah (Caster): The thought of an army of Servant-grade assassins is definitely a scary one, but not really in the horror sense for me. Summoning King Hassan? Scary, but not horror.

Howard Phillips Lovecraft (Foreigner): I've said it. This is my favorite interpretation of Lovecraft. The only problem is that I've never understood the existential fear that encompasses Lovecraft. Now, the rot and body horror I can get even if it doesn't scare me.

Monseigneur Claude Frollo (Caster): Unexpected, yet effective and fun. A great adaptation from a truly horrible person constantly lying to himself that he is noble. A monster in a very human sense.

Black Rider (Rider): Don't summon it. Still, a well-realized and described Servant. Almost made the three, but it doesn't quite strike that chord I'm looking for.

Francis E. Dec (Foreigner): He does exude a psychological horror feeling from his entire sheet, turning innocent bystanders and his enemies into jabbering fools or comatose. Poor guy, lost in his delusions while inflicting them on others, almost made it to the three.

1 Point
    Tarrare (Foreigner): This is probably a bit of my love of children seeping in, but I really don't like seeing kids hurt. Seeing one just tormented like this and having to deal with it for so long, yet still trying to keep a brave face just... I said with Hyas that it's a horror story for him, and the same can be said here, but I honest feel worse about Tarrare. Again, almost certainly bias. Doesn't change where I rank him.

2 Points
    Franz Kafka (Berserker): Similar to Francis, he's someone who inflicts his own madness and insecurities on others. Unlike Francis, his comes from his own self-hating delusions rather than aggrandizing. With Kafka, this person is someone I can see transforming into a psychotic horror villain completely convinced he needs to wipe away everyone else that exists so he can be free of judgement only to realize that it wasn't what he wanted at all. A self-prophesizing monster to himself and all those around him.

3 Points
    Sir John Franklin (Foreigner): Full credit to DelRey, he made something that took me by storm (pun partially intended). Ice-wendigo pirates steeped in Inuit mythology that takes the form of a frozen zealot on a quest from God. Just imagine if the Night King could have kept up his intimidation when Winter finally came, then add in a hellish ship full of ice cannibals. I know this choice partially throws out my criteria for judging up to this point as this Servant feels more like a mid to high fantasy kind of entity, but it's a solid corruption of a character in a way I feel few would have ever suspected that does a good job of being visually appealing, certainly horrifying if actually encountered, and uses the Wendigo which is one of my personal favorite monsters. So, here we are.
    Last edited by Morg van Destro; February 27th, 2022 at 04:16 AM.