Page 466 of 782 FirstFirst ... 366416456461464465466467468471476516566 ... LastLast
Results 9,301 to 9,320 of 15627

Thread: Create-a-Servant

闇色の六王権 The Dark Six Zork Knight's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    I'm just saying, though. Like, you know, obvious known power player in legend like Herk obviously got A+ in strength and A in endurance, and that's with Mad Enhancement, with those crazy muscle transmogrification and bone elbow and what not. While Iskander, buffed up as he was, and not known for strength but his tatics, got B in strength and vanilla A in endurance.

So it just felt a bit too high for me. But once again, I dont really know much about Charlegmagne, that's why I asked if he is known for his strength in legend and what not.

Just my 2 cent.
    Rider base parameters are rather shitty, and was it ever confirmed that Herk's stats are post-ME? Also Nasu's Alex is some 50 centimeters taller than the real one.

O Beast of CaerbannogAAAAARRGH!!? castor212's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BehemothV2 View Post
    Rider base parameters are rather shitty, and was it ever confirmed that Herk's stats are post-ME? Also Nasu's Alex is some 50 centimeters taller than the real one.
    Well, those stats are what I see in the game, with extra bars after adding ME's effect.

Once again, I'm just saying, if Charlegmagne is capable of getting a draw with Herkz-post-ME in STR and END, well, he gotta pretty damn powerful in strength and endure-ish as hell in legend.

Of course, I could be wrong.
    Last edited by castor212; August 11th, 2014 at 01:21 PM.
    I haz a patreon please support onegai
    Currently (like, actually) finishing Apocrypha 3

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    Charlemagne is to France and much of continental Europe as Arthur is to Britain.
    Hmm. Cant comment much though, I seriously know zip about the guy. Practically only hear it from Astolfo's title.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    You can pretty much trace all of the romantic, knights in shining and fighting for chivalry ideas in King Arthur to Charlemagne influence. Otherwise Arthur would be a Romanesque warlord.

Blog Entries
    You can pretty much trace all of the romantic, knights in shining and fighting for chivalry ideas in King Arthur to Charlemagne influence. Otherwise he'd be a Romanesque warlord.
    Ahh. Is he quite known for a mighty warrior, in a physical way?

If he is, I guess the stats would make sense, then.
    Last edited by castor212; August 11th, 2014 at 01:29 PM.

JP Friend Code
    851974289/嵐
    Blog Entries
    Charlemagne charged into battle with a sword that glowed as a beacon at the head of his army. Who does this sound like?

Blog Entries
    Charlemagne charged into battle with a sword that glowed as a beacon at the head of his army. Who does this sound like?
    Sounds like a badass.

Well, I guess the stats would make sense, then. He's as stronk as Herk.

JP Friend Code
    Alright, changed Military Tactics to increased accuracy and reflexes.

Anything else, or is it acceptable at last?

Blog Entries
    Alright, changed Military Tactics to increased accuracy and reflexes.

Anything else, or is it acceptable at last?
    I would, personally, rank down the STR and END tomaybe A and B+. Still can't believe he's stronger than noME Herk. But I guess it's still believable with the legend and history, so maybe it's fine.
    Last edited by castor212; August 11th, 2014 at 02:45 PM.

HSTP 500 Internal S ervant  Error aldeayeah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by castor212 View Post
    He's as stronk as Herk.
    His strength is a different kind of strength, it's the broad shoulders of a
    King
    kind of strength.
    don't quote me on this

JP Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    According to the (lol)wiki, it "grants bonus modifiers when using/facing an Anti-Army NP".
    Yeah, these "modifiers," aren't pluses or minuses but more literally revisions or something like that.

To put it in simpler terms, it's like doing your taxes, right, and then getting a tax return because they owe you stuff.
    So when you're facing or using an Anti-Army the tax office give you a little return for doing that. That is what TMwiki decided to translate as "modifier."
    Pluses are literally called pluses, modifiers are just names we made up to describe them.
    So at the end of the day it's a catch all statement that doesn't give us much information other than if two A+ Anti Army's clashed and everything was equal and one Servant had Military Tactics, that one would win.

JP Friend Code
    Y'know what, I'll just slap a vague description about receiving advantages and call it a day.

Blog Entries
    It's the strength of being French and yet somehow still awesome.

If you mean Charlemagne, he was Frankish. And Franks gave birth to France, Germany and Benelux alike.

Still being French is based, drop your American bias.

Blog Entries
    It's the strength of being French and yet somehow still awesome.
    ;_;

Time to burn some dread Daneel Rush's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You might want to reference my Servant Chi You post for this to make complete sense.

Introduction: One-Way Road

The two greats clashed in battle, and the earth and the sky roared as their fiery encounter wounded them both. The howl of unnatural thunder followed the flash of magical lightning splitting the sky. The earth cracked and split apart, wild natural prana gushed out of bleeding dragon veins and haphazardly washed over the battlefield before being harnessed by the tall sage.

The sage with the bow was mighty and handsome; his yellow robes long scattered as ashes. His was the knowledge of most ancient arts, and he ruled over all living things, mundane and supernatural. While lesser wise men practiced their acupuncture on the ailing and the elderly, he manipulated the life force of the planet itself, commanding the blood of Gaia to become his weapon and his armor. An aural body of coalesced mana protected him; a colossus of sculpted energy as tall as the Shou Mountain. A veritable of fantastic beasts stood alongside the construct; a pair of dragons swirled around its luminescent anatomy, their dance invoking storms and demanding the earth to shake rebelliously. Yet the sage’s enemy faltered not in the presence of such might.

The small girl, her face covered with a bizarre bovine-like skull, commanded the rain and the wind, the mist and the flame. Her will gave shape and sharpness to metals. With but a thought, she could create things of destructive awe and violent majesty. While her small, calloused hands themselves held sword and shield, a six-armed titan of forged iron wielded mountain-splitting blades and traded mighty blows with the tall sage’s colossus. Every single exchange was the beginning of a hurricane, uprooting trees and leaving behind nothing but naked, lifeless soil. This was a clashed that no longer obeyed the conventions of human beings in conflict. Its purpose had long become irrelevant. These were simply two living gods, who found it necessary to hurt each other for a while at the expense of the world around them.

The sage rained arrows over the battlefield while the skull-masked girl danced a dance of beautiful madness in the midst of a sea of deadly creatures. Her laughter was like song; not a single one of her blows missed its mark and every swing resulted in a trail of blood like a crimson stroke on a canvas of violent brilliance. The sage’s arrows aimed to hurt not the girl, but to poke at Gaia’s pressure points. The planet responded with a healing wail and flora erupted from the barren ground like serpent gods of rebirth. The reptilian trunks and branches were stronger than any shackle and held more tightly than any rope, seizing the iron titan’s many arms and holding it in place for the prana colossus to rain frenzied blows on its metal body. But, if the sage was to wield life as his weapon, then the girl would reciprocate with destruction, for her soul was a forge and its flame as hot as the planet’s core. Her exhalation became a flamethrower, the line of flames quickly spreading like a blossoming flower into a cone that could swallow and entire army.

And then the dragon, longer than the average man could walk in five minutes, rammed the fire-breathing girl snout first, dragging her along the harsh soil and the unnaturally grown plant life for the good part of two kilometers before smashing her on the slopes of a rare untouched mountain. Gaia growled as its rocky finger was struck by girl and divine beast, and an avalanche of packed soil and gargantuan boulders fell upon the two. Or perhaps just the one, for the dragon was blown away by a tremendous power—a swing of the girl’s sword clad in vermilion energy as if matching her unstoppable mien. The creature that should rule over the skies crossed its tempestuous length like a discarded doll and was further assaulted by the colossal blades of the iron titan, which would have chopped it into pieces had the dragon not abandoned its presence in the material world, stepping out of phase and into the invisible realm where its kind could thrive without human intervention.

The sage could not hide his irritation and frustration. Gripping his powerful bow—itself a gift from the very person he was fighting—, the sage and chieftain roared furiously.

“You damned godless beaaaaaaaaaaaassst!!!”

Far away, too far away for her voice to reach so clearly without Magecraft, the girl with the strange mask howled in laughter.

“Not yeeeet! Not yet, not yet, not yet, not yet, not yeeeeeeeeeeeeet! This is not enough to defeat me just yet, boy!!!”

Looming above them like divine manifestations, the prana colossus and the iron-forged titan met again in a calamitous clash of fist and blade. Gaia would have to suffer the meeting of these two monsters in human form a little bit longer.

Xuānyuán watched the cloudy sky with tired, sleepy eyes. The magical storm their battle had conjured had already released its fury, but the gray weather would remain for a while longer. He hoped the sky would clear up soon. It would not do for his people to quiver in terror much longer.

He showed no reaction when his field of view was in part covered by the girl. Were he perhaps somewhat less exhausted, he would have commented on her choice of clothing—or rather the blunt lack of it—as he always did. Long, sun-kissed legs were completely exposed to his dark eyes, which turned further upwards to that scant piece of undergarment which barely covered her utmost intimacy.

The girl was smile, her youthful face the image of joy.

“That makes it nine straight wins, boy.”

Xuānyuán sighed.

“…aye, aye.”

The girl’s—Chī Yóu’s—smile became an ear-to-ear grin.

“Come on. Let’s make you a sword.”

The sun had long hidden behind the horizon and Xuānyuán remained close to the girl, watching her work with molten metal with hammer and glee. Her strange headdress rested in a corner of the cave Chī Yóu had picked for her labor that evening.

While a part of him remained vaguely aware that he should be leading his tribe, the rest refused to leave the girl’s side. It was no particular emotional attachment which acted as a cast around his feet—although there was certainly some of that residing in his heart by this point in their long acquaintanceship—, but the simple awareness of the fact each and every single of their encounters left him a greater man. However, the fact remained that their differences were far more and far greater than the things they had in common.

“Why?” He asked, absurdly hoping the single word would be enough to make his point. Naturally, it was not.

“Why what?” Chī Yóu retorted, never taking her eyes off her craft. “Why am I making you a sword? Why am I making you a sword? Why do I make swords at all? By the way,” she spoke between descents of her hammer. “I noticed that Aura Body craft of yours, it doesn’t have any weapons. Why would you go through the effort of making such a thing if you’re going to limit its range anyway?”

Xuānyuán frowned in mild irritation—he did not really do “angry” outside the battlefield, and rarely even within.

“You know I do not favor such things.”

“Ah,” the forge goddess replied eloquently. This was indeed, not a particularly new discussion between them. “So it was the second question. Or was it the third?” Before the chieftain could reply, Chī Yóu further taunted. “Yet you have more than mastered the bow I gave you.”

“It has yet to spill the blood of a single man.”

“Yet you wield it to tear All Under Heaven just to harm this simple one.” She chuckled. “I am honored, yet confused by the arguments you wield, Xuānyuán.”

“You deserve it,” he sharply retorted, but the foreigner knew the chieftain spoke in jest. Instead, she went with answering her male friend’s insistent question.

“Xuānyuán, you know why I make armaments, do you not?”

“…because that is your power, your technique.”

The brown-skinned girl nodded.

“Unlike you, who possess the knowledge of all natural and supernatural beasts and wield power over all living things, I am merely a forge which can only bring tools of harm into existence. It is what I am, what I chose to be, and the one thing I can proudly say I can do better than any other Under Heaven.”

The hissing of water boiled by contact with the incandescent work-in-progress was almost threatening. Filling the cave with steam, it rendered an already uncomfortable environment even more oppressive. Xuānyuán no longer mourned his lost robes, as his chest glistened with pearly sweat and Chī Yóu’s own clothes stuck uncomfortably to her petite body.

“It defines me; it brings me joy. It’s my Path. Regardless of what your people may think or say about me, I am no blood-thirsty warmonger. Although, I must admit I cherish the sight of my creations finding use.”

“Would it not be better if those weapons never found need for use?”

“But they will,” Chī Yóu replied sharply and without hesitation. “They always do. Weapons exist because conflict exists. Conflict exists because life exists.”

“Do you not believe in the possibility of a world without conflict?” The chieftain insisted. His voice carried only the slightest hint of stubbornness.

Chī Yóu chuckled, aware that her guest simply spoke out of a need to act the role of a debating opponent, rather than some misguided idealism.

“I’ll believe in it when I see,” she replied. “Gods fight, animals fight. Would it not be stranger if humans did not do so as well?”

“You cannot be saying there cannot be conflict without bloodshed.”

Chī Yóu laughed as if she had just heard a great and amusing tale. She was back to hammering her creation. It had been a while since she crafted a weapon the usual way—not that there was no Magecraft involved in this blade, though. She had forgotten how much she enjoyed the feel of the hammer striking meteoric iron.

“I say, my boy, that people will always find a reason powerful enough to shed blood. It is the rare person who harms and kills others for the sake of harming and killing. Then again, the reasons of others are of no relevance to me. I create for the sake of creation.”

After a minute or two of wordless labor in which Chī Yóu devoted herself to finishing the new sword—to one such as she, creating a top-quality blade in a couple of hours was no great feat—, Xuānyuán got back on his feet and turned his back to the Creator, taking a step or two in the direction of the great outdoors. The girl first thought he was simply bothered by the oppressive heat, but then he stopped and opened his mouth one more time.

“I…have taught my people how to keep track of the flow of time; how to measure weights, volumes and surfaces and how to make calculations; I have taught them how to record their thoughts, their memories and knowledge; how to grow their own sustenance from the earth and build their own shelters rather than live in caves.”

The pride and joy in his deeds could be felt in his words and, Chī Yóu agreed, those were things worth being proud of.

“I even taught them how to tame wild beasts, how to travel on water and how to create devices to carry far more than they could hold with their arms.”

“Yes, yes, amazing, amazing~” Chī Yóu replied lightheartedly, making the yellow sage roll is eyes in despondence. Regardless, he turned to the older woman.

“What do you think I am doing wrong, Chī Yóu?”

So there it was, the crux of the issue.

“Do you so desperately need my approval, Xuānyuán?” The little girl teased, making the bearded man sputter on the spot.

“Cease the ridiculousness,” he spat harshly, but the weapons maker simply laughed at the grown man’s subtle childishness.

“To my eyes you have done no wrong, Xuānyuán,” the Sumerian smith then replied. “And that precisely is the problem.”

The hammering sounds marked a pace for the woman’s direct speech.

“I laud your enthusiastic belief in the fundamental good of all people. You believe people are naturally drawn to each other and thus drawn towards building families, clans and tribes. That is both good and true. However, believing in the good nature of people should not render you blind to their capacity for evil deeds.”

Suddenly, she swung the unfinished blade off the anvil, discarding the hammer for something like a very long nail before shoving the blade into the ferocious flame one last time. It was a magical flame that demanded no fuel, for it was born of her soul and fed of her will.

“It is not only dangerous; it is limiting your potential and the potential of your people. You are denying them the greatness they could reach.”

Xuānyuán watched the woman at work with quiet solemnity for a few moments.

“…does this relate to the tales you have shared with me? With the great city of magic, and its Golden King?”

The blade glowed with tones of red, orange and white upon leaving the flame. While holding it with her bare left hand, Chī Yóu’s right hand danced over the incandescent blade, her thin and pointed tool gently scratching its surface. It took the chieftain a moment to realize she was writing on the blade.

“Great Uruk prospered because its people looked up to the authority of its mighty God-Kings,” she said. “Do you believe that, if left to their own devices, merchants would buy and sell at fair prices? Do you believe priests would not claim the gods’ due for themselves? Do you believe healers would not sell muddy water as healing draughts, or that soldiers would not take from others what they should have bought with coin?”

“People need not merely laws, but laws that are enforced by a figure with authority,” Xuānyuán declared.

“Yes!” Chī Yóu exclaimed. “Laws on their own are mere words written in parchment! People need to be ruled!”

“Rulership is not shackles. It is a beacon for the people; a direction for society to follow.”

Chī Yóu nodded. She seemed to be examining her penmanship on the scalding hot blade.

“People curse their rulers. They find fault in their every action and word. Rulership is a lonely position to claim, my boy. Yet when they face an obstacle they cannot overcome; when they find a question they cannot answer themselves, it is their rulers they turn to for answers, for power and succor. They loathe them, but they need them.”

“Rulership exists not for the sake of the ruler, but for the sake of those to be ruled,” Xuānyuán continued.

“But why, Xuānyuán?” The smith then asked. “Why do think people need to be ruled? Why do you think people in groups cannot take care of each other?”

“Because, without rulership, people live in a world where there are only enemies,” the sage declared. “Without rulership, people are no different from beasts. Without rulership, they find no reason to care about anything but themselves, unable to realize that this world belongs to no one person.”

Chī Yóu guffawed at that last statement. She could not help but wonder just what that man clad in golden armor would have thought of this man’s beliefs. Then again, she never claimed to understand those invested with the divine right to rule, neither this young old man before her nor that greatest exemplar of humankind who dared defy the gods’ will. So, she simply recorded that statement, the foundation of this chieftain’s politics, on the flat surface of the blade intended for him.

A final pulse of prana pushed all heat out of the blade and reinforced the molecular bonds in the metal to prevent any harmful events of the instantaneous cooling. She then presented the sword to its master, allowing him to read that final sentence.

Tiānxià shǔyú tiānxià.

All under Heaven belongs to all under Heaven.

“And that, my boy, is the reason you must rule,” she declared with the conviction of one who understands and accepts her fate. “Take this blade, and surpass me.”

Stats

XUĀNYUÁN
    Servant: Saber

Height: 188 cm
    Weight: 82 kg

Alignment: Lawful Good

Strength B
    Endurance A
    Agility B
    Magic A
    Luck A
    Noble Phantasm A

Class Skills:
    * Magic Resistance: Grants protection against magical effects.
    B – Cancels spells with a chant below three verses. Even if targeted by High-Thaumaturgy and Greater Rituals, it is difficult for him to be affected.
    * Riding: Expertise to ride animals and vehicles.
    A+ – Creatures on the level of Phantasmal Beast and Divine Beast can be used as mounts. However, that does not apply to members of the Dragon Kind.

Personal Skills:
    * Beacon of Mankind: The ability to educate, nurture, lead and guide the lesser, given to the founding fathers and mothers whose deeds led to the formation of organized cultures and civilizations. The Skill of a culture hero.
    A – The Servant may gift those under his aegis with the benefit of a single Skill up to rank B or up to three Skills up to rank C, and he may imbue different Skills on different subjects. Skills that are themselves equivalent to multiple Skills (Imperial Privilege, Voyager of the Storm, Expert of Many Specializations) cannot be granted with this method.
    * Chinese Medicine: Rather than a science or a philosophy, a cultural sublimation of different supernatural lineages believed to share a common origin in the methods of the Yellow Emperor. Founded on the belief that all living things follow the same vital processes and thus are governed by the same rules. Perhaps the oldest thaumaturgical system which remains in relatively popular use.
    EX – “Tiānxià wèígōng”. The qi of all things under Heaven can be directed with the same methods. The same techniques of alchemy, acupuncture and qigong used on human beings may be used on spirits and on the Planet itself. Having achieved conceptual unification of the other and the whole, Xuānyuán further discards the individuality of self and joins in great unity with the deep and boundless. When the Skill directs all ten thousand things back to the Root, it may be considered its own unique Skill rather than the maximum expression of a lesser form.
    * Mysterious Gates Escaping Technique: Qí mén dùn jiă (奇门遁甲). A thaumaturgical system of advanced divination, supposedly conceived by Xuānyuán through meditation and divine communion for the sake of defeating Chī Yóu and her armies, although it may be used in other situations. It is effectively a supernatural tool for pattern recognition and for locating flaws in such patterns, so it is closer to Clairvoyance than to Revelation as a Skill.
    A+ – It may effectively encompass the Skills Clairvoyance, Military Tactics, Eye of the Mind (False), Disengage and Instinct, to a maximum rank of B.

Noble Phantasm

Hùndùn Kūnwú
    Copper Key to the Primordial Chaos

Type: Anti-Unit
    Range: 1-2
    Maximum number of targets: 1 person

The copper-colored blade crafted by Chī Yóu for her dear friend and the same sword that cut Chī Yóu’s head at the Battle of Zhuōlù. It is a straight sword (Jiàn) with a squared guard, slightly shorter than average for its kind. The blade is covered with inscriptions listing the tents of Xuānyuán’s political beliefs. It was originally created as a sword of sharpness without peer, capable of cutting through Chī Yóu’s jade-and-iron golems like paper. In the hands of the one who found and understood Tao, it became a key capable of opening the gateway to the Root, if only for an instant.

While the above statement might trigger comparisons with the Sword of Rupture, Xuānyuán’s Noble Phantasm is better understood as a Sword of Perfection. Everything touched by the tip of the blade is subjected to a top-class Reinforcement effect, becoming as good as possible at their intended purpose. It takes the actual invocation of its name and a somatic component in the form of a slashing attack to bring out the full power of the Noble Phantasm. Everything in the path of the swing is forcefully driven towards the primordial perfection which only existed at the time Heaven and Earth were perfectly joined and all was chaotically unformed, when all things were truly complete yet not created. It is effectively a “progression” towards their Platonic ideal. However, the blade’s effect attempts to create something that cannot exist in a fundamentally flawed reality, and thus the only visible effect (most of the time) is the utter annihilation of anything in the path of the slashing blade.

It is unclear what would happen should the blade be used to strike intangible concepts, for such things might exist in an ideal form in reality, and it is simply the human mind that is incapable of comprehending them.

Background

The legendary founder of Chinese civilization. In a mythos of countless gods and semi-divine heroes, he is perhaps the greatest, or at least the most respect, and the center of a worship that persists to present times. Of course, after so many centuries it is hard to tell how much of what is known about him was true, and how many of the deeds ascribed to him actually happened. What matters beyond individual feats, however, is his position as the catalyst of an entire civilization; the keystone and starting point of almost five thousand years of tradition. The extent of his legend is such that he could also be summoned in the Archer, Caster and Rider classes.

The man that would become the Yellow Emperor was born Xuānyuán, the son of the chieftain of a tribe of nomadic hunter-gatherers traveling in a long northeastward migration. However, from the circumstances of his birth it was obvious he was a gods-sent child, a divine envoy meant to define a new direction for his people. His was not a precisely unusual condition; it was indeed a time in which god-sent leaders were almost expected, and human tribes led by such chosen people constantly clashed and vied for supremacy. However, the man who should have become yet another warlord, another piece for divine amusement soaked in human blood, from early years chose to walk a slightly different path. Rather than learning to wield the rudimentary weapons of the time, he took to the fields and learned to grow the bounty of the land. He traveled and sought the wisdom of spirit-kind, learning about countless supernatural creatures, about dragon veins and all living things. He led his people to Zhuōlù and convinced them to put an end to their nomadic ways and find purpose and stability in a sedentary life. He taught them how to use the waterways for travel, how to build permanent shelters and wheeled carts. In their new life they found strength and the means to more easily repel the rival nomadic groups. This and many other things he did, while secretly wondering whether these deeds he thought his own were but a different play in the theatrics the gods much enjoyed. Regardless, he persevered; divine will or not, he did what he believed was best for his people. And indeed, his tribe became healthy and strong.

But with strength comes pride, and with pride comes hubris. The time came for Xuānyuán and his people to learn that there is always somebody stronger, and she came from the west.

Her name was Chī Yóu.

What the people saw was a vicious mistress of war at the head of a legion of barbarians wielding strange metal tools of death. Xuānyuán’s tribe watched her carve a path of conquest through what would be called the Middle Kingdom. They feared her weapons and her command over metal, storms, wind and flames. So, it naturally came to Xuānyuán to “deal with her”.

He lost. Badly. And after he lost, they talked.

Chī Yóu was merely a wandering magus in search of a certain someone. But the weak are naturally drawn to the powerful, and that legion of students and followers had gathered in her long travels. She loved them, but she did not think herself their ruler and she wished for them to find their own direction in life, for she simply wanted to create armaments and continue her endless search. Chī Yóu and Xuānyuán were thus kindred souls, for their shared the burden of tribes which rested on their laurels, brimming with overconfidence and overreliance in magical might and intellect and in her wisdom and technology, respectively. So they talked a lot, mostly politics: of the foundations of a state, sanctioned bloodshed and the state’s monopoly on violence; on the duties and rights of a ruler and the necessity of a rule of law; on coinage and currency, the establishment of markets for the sake of taxation, and vice versa. She told him of her homeland, radiant Uruk and its Golden King, and of the triumph of human virtue over divine fate. He shared with her the secrets of the Baí Zé about all supernatural creatures under Heaven. She showed him the secrets of metalworking, the truths revealed in the movement of the stars and the ways to call upon rain and winds. He taught her to direct the dragon veins and thus the growth of all living things. And they fought, of course, if only to keep appearances. But tensions between their peoples grew, together with their envy and their greed. They wanted what the other had and they were not willing to share their own riches. There was simply no room in that land for both tribes.

Xuānyuán desperately wished to find a solution that would please both sides, but Chī Yóu convinced him to assume his rightful place as the one sovereign and lead his people to greatness matching distant Sumer. Every time she defeated him she made him stronger, wiser and more skilled in the ways of combat he had long rejected. In their dialogues, she helped him realize that sometimes violent conflict became necessary, but that it was never an end in itself, but merely a means to achieve further greatness in peace. He, who was born with wisdom and used it to develop the tools and means of a peaceful society, was completed as a truly enlightened being upon learning the wisdom of the battlefield.

Thus, they fought one last time in the fields of Zhuōlù in what perhaps was the greatest battle ever fought on Chinese soil. Armies of humans and spirits of heaven and earth clashed in a maelstrom of metal and magic. The planet itself was a combatant, as the magical might of the two war leaders set gargantuan flora and cataclysmic weather upon each other. Chī Yóu accepted her role but did not go out without a fight: her rival could only claim the Mandate of Heaven after truly surpassing her. The victorious Xuānyuán made an example of the defeated Chī Yóu, destroying her body to a degree so that it could not restore itself with any magic and thus ensuring the loyalty and awe of his people for all time. This he did all the while mourning the loss of the one person he had ever cherished as an equal.

In the end, he would be remembered as a god-like hero and the first and foremost of statesmen, and she as a fearsome beast-like god of warfare and bringer of chaos and violence to the “once peaceful” China. Everything was exactly as they had intended. They were diametrically different, so it made sense for them to achieve immortality in wholly different ways. But perhaps the most important lesson Xuānyuán gained from the maker of wondrous weapons was that, in this world, the best ending is rarely the happiest one. It was a sad but relieving truth for a man who for the longest time had wondered if he had really ever followed his own wishes instead of the gods’.

Xuānyuán’s greatest and most painful realization was accepting that, after all, there was no way for them to be together. That secret longing, which he never shared with anybody, was the most beautiful and torturous affirmation of his human free will.

Keywords

Tiānxià Wèígōng – “All Things Under Heaven Are Equal.” A state in which there is no perceivable difference between qi and shape. It is not precisely Magecraft (although it is treated as such), taking into account that a certain Jewish physicist has already established the equivalence between matter and energy. Techniques that affect the body may also affect the mind and the soul. Techniques meant to be used on human beings may affect spirits and the Planet to equal degree. It is a great equalizer, so it is undoubtedly Xuānyuán’s path to the Root. Perhaps there lies the true meaning of Tao. As a Skill it comprises the benefits of Sphere Boundary and Vitrification as well.

Blog Entries
    I have missed your Servant profiles, Daneel. I'd say this is just as good as Chi You's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seika View Post
    Yes, excellent. Go, Lyco, my proxy.
    F/GO SUPPORT