Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345813 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring 2021 Anime: Oops All Sequels

Drunk Anime Is The True Path. Mattias's Avatar
    US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    But going around provoking combat just so you can kill them is a dick move worthy of 15 year old edgelords who only know Hot Topic.
    Binged All Of Gundam In 4 Years, 1 Week and All I Got Was This Stupid Mask

FF XIV: Walked to the End

Started Legend of the Galactic Heroes (14/07/23), pray for me.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Galford killed Shera's brother after Diablo defeated him nonlethally. The kill-stealer is always the aggressor. The fact that he has a military position is irrelevant. Also, fighting a corrupt church as a demon lord sends a strong message to the faithful and would cause a divide between organized religion and faith.

Harbringer of Beguiling Light bassgs435's Avatar
    He has no interest in truly being a demon lord. It's chuuni roleplay he uses as otherwise his socialization issues makes him unable to communicate. And he can keep living the adventurer life with Shera and Rem precisely because for all his boasting they see he's a good person inside who doesn't act like an evil demon lord. They know he means no trouble and only wants to keep doing the adventurer thing while looking for a way to release Shera and Rem from their collars. I doubt the guild or the city'd tolerate him if he goes starting trouble with the church.
    Again, the mistake comes in thinking Diablo's demon lord title is something he seriously wants to do like Anos or that it forces a personality on him like Ainz. It isn't. He didn't put much thought into it beyond using it as a crutch to cover his socialization issues.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

DINO GETTER,FUCK YESS
    Spoiler:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    In other words, it's Diablo that's the "15 year old edgelord" as Mattias would put it.

US Friend Code
    Dynazenon: Differentiating from Gridman right away by having the damage to the city actually stick around. I'm not as into the OP as I was Gridman's. Minami and Yomogi are already cute together. I'm expecting the redhead in the villains to be related to the redhead girl on the good guys (can't remember her name), purely because girl's design looks too wild compared to everyone else, she's hiding some sort of secret.

TWEWY: They used my favorite song from the game as the OP, so that's hype. And Shiki a cute. Still I feel like this moved really fast, like this one episode should have been spread out over two or three episodes instead. Then again, they do have a lot of plot to cover in only 21-24 episodes. I dunno. Not the strongest start but I love TWEWY so will keep up with it.

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors weeblord's Avatar

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    SSSS.Dynazenon
    Really interesting that the damage is permanent this time. Gauma calling himself a Kaiju user made me think that he was someone like Akane before, but the other guys are Kaiju users too and I don't think they'd introduce 5 previous victims like this.
    Redhead girl is definitely turning into a villain, OP also makes me think that this may be her world.

Also, was that a different insert song? Are we getting a different one for every combination? That would be sick.

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LegalLoliLover View Post
    In other words, it's Diablo that's the "15 year old edgelord" as Mattias would put it.
    Occasionally he is. But he's not 100% "Your rivers will run red with your blood peasents, for you have sneezed on me!" that you seem to advocate at every turn.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm pretty sure that Galford sneezing on Diablo wasn't the issue.

Shirabii and I-IV celebrating the anime airing

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Watched the first episode of 86, it's really interesting how even the more "nice" people in Lena's race are casually racist while Lena herself while genuinely well meaning can't seem to understand that her sympathy for the people her race is oppressing and that she's technically complicit in as a result of working with them earns nothing but their disdain. Its relatable, which just makes it more oof. But I am curious to know where it goes from here considering she gets through to them enough to have a romance with Mr. reaper (though my God, no matter how handsomely he's drawn the short black slightly rough hair just makes every male light novel character I see look generic)

Will be looking forward to more of this. On to shadows house!

死徒二十七祖 The Twenty Seven Dead Apostle Ancestors
    Shadow house is feel stumbled a bit with it's liberties to make the initial vignette like SOL chapters a bit more cohesive and drop its own hints on the truth of the story and the end result changes the characters relationship slightly. Direction is also blander so far than the promised neverland season 1 was, though that can't be helped when it doesn't have the same staff, but the animation as a whole looks okay so I'll see how they adapt everything else.

Meanwhile pretty boy detective club makes me feel like I'll be out on a list everything I acknowledge how good looking the characters are considering they're all middle schoolers, but so far it's mostly a pretty face and the dynamics are indistinct. We'll see if that improves with time

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    86: I too have watched Ender's Game. These slaves have better have Suicide Squad-esque exploding heart devices or something, because giving slaves artilery and telling them to die for you will end up with you staring at the barrel of your own weapons. And a remote tank shutoff would be useless since there's plenty of scraped enemy units lying around to frankenstein into something worthwhile.

Fruits Basket: Man that three room, two wall command grab of Akito's was too OP, pls nerf. I don't remember the manga going into the 'Akito was actually a victim' stuff this early. Or this in depth either. I don't mind, because I enjoy the crazy bitch, but trying to woobie her a bit too soon feels like it takes most of her bite away. Also I love when two characters are having an arguement and they both are right, Akito's bonds aren't love and are fake/manufactured, but Ren is also fucking nuts and needs to be removed.

Slime Isekai (no not that one, the other one): I was going to say that I really like when an Isekai ignores the whole "kill a demon lord" plot and just has the MC Yoshikage Kira around, but then I got to thinking, what was the last one to actually stick to that formula? Cautious Hero? It really feels like the genre has shifted away from OP self insert power fantasy, to basically become either fantasy world slice of life or character introspection.

TWENY: Wow this feels like they crammed a bunch in. I know the game is pretty similar in it's structure, and they need to cram a bunch of attempts at the game into the season for a coherent story, but having each mission only last 5 minutes at most when they're given an hour just feels like they rushed everything. Also it makes the threats they face seem pretty weak if they beat it in a fraction of the allotted time.

Zombieland Saga: Is good. Needed more headbanging, but mosh pit brawl is an okay runner up.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mami-kouga View Post
    But I am curious to know where it goes from here considering she gets through to them enough to have a romance with Mr. reaper (though my God, no matter how handsomely he's drawn the short black slightly rough hair just makes every male light novel character I see look generic)
    shirabii is an amazing artist and just keeps on getting better.

Hm, if 86 keeps on delivering the same level of quality and direction as episode 1, then watching the adaption of volume one would be a way better experience than reading it.

yeah, Shirabii's Shin is a lot hotter than anime Shin. Especially later volume Shin, where Shirabii's artstyle for males keeps getting increasingly masculine.

As for the ep itself, loved it. So happy one of my fave LNs is getting a high profile adaption like this. The mechs are CG, but it looks nice. One cool thing was the way the episode title cut the ep in Lena and Shin parts, underlining that theyre not protag and love interest, but both protags in their own right. Also liked the detail of Theo hanging up his caricatures of their handlers on the wall and crossing them out after Shin drives them away. The moment Lena contacted them he already started sketching a new caricature of a white pig princess. Kurenas egg hunt and the kids pissing off mommy Raiden with their badly aimed rag were great too.

OP song was kinda wack though.
    Last edited by weeblord; April 11th, 2021 at 09:17 AM.

Wyrd oft nereð unfǽgne eorl, þonne his ellen déah... Skull's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Digimon Adventure
    Episode 44: Well...that was certainly a bonkers episode I wasn't expecting to enjoy nearly as much as I did. Both Etemon and Volcamon were entertaining in their wacky-ness and several of those "disruptions" on the Partner Digimon had me cracking up, until I saw Palmon eat Patamon and I had 'nam flashbacks to "The Little Shop of Horrors" which I watched recently. Palmon eolving into Ponchomon came totally by surprise and I love that the show is not afraid to break the mold with these "irregular evolutions" as Izzy put it, which I am sad that BlitzGreymon probably was as well since I love that design.

Next week is back to Hikari focus which is cool. Even better for Petaldramon showing up as I really liked him in Frontier.
    "Here's a bangin lil' tune about takin' on The Man!"

(Check out my Super Special Awesome Servant Compendium here)

US Friend Code
    Blog Entries
    86 was a great watch, I didn't expect it to look this good honestly. Even the CG fights looked great.
    Seeing all the people of San Magnolia was bizarre. It's disturbing how homogenous their society is. considering the level of technology with the mention of artificial food and all that, I'm willing to bet the whole country is a result of eugenics.
    I'm also really curious about why they are so certain this war will last only 2 years.

Shadows House is as intriguing as I expected, great watch. I'm also disappointed by how bland the direction is, but we'll see if they do better when we have scenes that are more interesting than cleaning the same room again.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    Oh my God, of all of the places for Red Bard to land. How will he escape the yandere princess this time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3

The smell of the lukewarm ocean and the chorus of cicadas RoydGolden's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Checked out the first ep of Pretty-Boy Detective Club today. It was certainly... a lot. This is my first real exposure to Shinbo's artistic/directorial style (watched a bit of Bakemonogatari once but wasn't hooked) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but what I got was a whole bunch of ridiculously pretty boys, gorgeously rendered backgrounds, self-indulgent closeups and pretentious meandering dialogue like out of a stage-play.

This is the kind of story I normally wouldn't have much patience for, so it's being mostly carried by the visuals so far. That and the bits of self-aware/snarky humor that show the series knows how overwrought its being and wholeheartedly embraces it. I have to admit "The three rules of Pretty-Boy Detective Club: be pretty, be a boy, and be a detective." got a chuckle out of me, as well as the overblown introductions to all the boys and Mayumi's deadpan reactions. Overall I'm not really sure where this will go but I'll probably keep watching, at least as long as the presentation holds up.

The Long-Forgotten Sight Rafflesiac's Avatar
    JP Friend Code
    Shoot me a PM
    Blog Entries
    86 was pretty good, nice to see a light novel adaptation have solid production values. Solid contrast between the indolent elites and the frontline fodder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arashi_Leonhart View Post
    canon finish apo vol 3